Thursday, March 7, 2013

One Talented Snowman

A while back, I saw an idea that I thought my kids would love: to build a snowman upside down.  It seemed especially appropriate because one of those kids is often upside down himself!  :)
I waited and waited to have enough snow--and the right kind of snow--to do this; and today the time was right.
So I made him (her? it?).
Well, I had a little help.
Shav and Tobin both pitched in to help, although Shav mostly stood around and ate snow and watched.  :)  Josiah and David were off digging a quinzhee so they were no help.  :)
But Tobin helped me pat snow on the weak places, and he got the gravel for the face and buttons, and he carried sticks for the arms and legs.
I think this was my favorite snowman I ever made.  
It does a heart good to act like a kid!  :)

5 comments:

Emily said...

I love it!! That is so fun!! I have to ask...what is a quinzhee??

Davene Grace said...

Emily - good question! I didn't know, until I met Jeff, what a quinzhee is; but from him I learned that a snow/ice house is called an igloo if it's made of blocks of snow/ice. It's called a quinzhee if it's a pile of snow that is then hollowed out to make an opening. Make sense?

Because our driveway got plowed yesterday, we had a pile of snow big enough for the kids to dig in, so they had fun making tunnels and openings big enough to crawl into! :)

Unknown said...

what fun! i will have to add 'make a quinzhee' to my bucket list!

Renee from A Baker's Dozen said...

That is too cute! I'm sure my kids would get a kick out of that. Luckily we've had NO snow this winter!

Margie said...

That is hilarious! We didn't get enough snow for a snow man, but I'm tucking this idea for...next year?