Thursday, August 30, 2012

Songs for Labor and Delivery

I've *only* written about a half a dozen posts about Moriah's birth (let's see...here are Parts One, Two, Three, Four, and Five of her birth story, as well as this post with the scripture verses that helped me prepare mentally for labor and delivery), but I'm just not sure that's enough.  ;)  So, here's one more.  
As I got ready for Moriah's birth nearly five months ago, I only cared a little bit about what I ended up packing in my bag for the hospital (except for what Moriah wore home, of course--THAT was important).  :)  But one thing I did care a great deal about was the music I listened to as I labored to bring forth my precious daughter, and I had so much fun selecting the pieces for that special time.  Jeff helped me by downloading them onto his phone so they would be easily accessible at any time, and I remember feeling a wonderful sense of relief once that particular part of preparation for birth was accomplished.  :)
Here are the songs I chose (and although I could write extensively about why I chose each one, I'll try to keep my comments to a minimum or I won't get any sleep tonight):  ;)

Now to Him - Acapella (super encouragement from Ephesians 3:20-21)

Everything We Need - Acapella (more encouragement straight from the Bible, this time from 2 Peter 1:3)

Heartland - Celtic Thunder (this might qualify as an unusual choice ;), but I loved both the words and the music in this cry for help and deliverance...during labor, I didn't always pay attention to the music that was playing, but I do remember specifically tuning in when this song played)

God, I Look to You - Jenn Johnson (the first two lines--as well as the rest of the song, too, of course!--were a powerful reminder for me)

What the Lord Has Done in Me - Hillsong ("Let the weak say, 'I am strong'..." - yes!)

Mighty to Save - Hillsong

Be Unto Your Name - Robin Mark

Trust - Sixpence None the Richer

The Father's Song - Matt Redman

I Will Arise - Michael Card ("I will arise and go to Jesus...He will embrace me in His arms..."  What better place to be during labor?)  :)

O Church Arise - Keith & Kristyn Getty

All I Want - Michael W. Smith

Be Lifted High - Michael W. Smith

Kisses of Your Mouth - Heather Clark (especially the chorus, "Take me away with you..." which was also significant to me when I gave birth to Tobin)  :)

Hosanna - Hillsong

Oh Freedom - Chris Rice

Desert Song - Hillsong (great chorus... "I will bring praise...I will rejoice, I will declare, God is my victory, and He is here..." which was a very meaningful assurance, especially in conjunction with the "carry me" prayer that was such an important part of my labor this time)

Awaken - Steve Green (which was appropriate because the dawn did come while I labored to bring forth Moriah)  :)

Gloria - Watermark

Hand of Providence - Michael W. Smith

In Christ Alone - Newsboys

Christ Is Risen - Matt Maher

Arise, My Love - Michael Card (sung at our wedding)  :)

The Other Side of Me - Michael W. Smith

Breathe - Michael W. Smith

Testify to Love - Avalon
I loved all of these songs during labor, and I love them all the more now.  I think some of them will be permanently connected, in my mind, with the day Moriah was born.  :)  What sweet memories!  And what a sweet girl...
Even if she looks a little unconvinced that a bow is a good thing to wear in one's hair...  (Can you just hear her thinking, "What are you doing to me, Mommy?")  ;)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What amazing song choices! I am going to take time this morning to listen to the ones I haven't heard before.

Valerie said...

Aww, look at that big ol southern bow in her hair! Too cute!! :)

I feel like this post was written just for me. I was going to email you and ask you to direct me to the post where you listed what scripture you kept nearby during labor. Now I have the music that you liked too! Thank you! :)

Sally said...

Now I want to listen to all those songs! I might have to do a search and bring them up and listen to them one of these days. I love that you have such a wide and ever-expanding music list.