Saturday, August 4, 2012

Recipe Box - Cabbage Casserole

Earlier this summer, when our cabbage was producing abundantly, I faced a dilemma similar to the one I described here about squash: what to do with all that cabbage?  The Weight Watchers cabbage soup (which is zero points, according to their system, so you can eat as much of it as you want...and it even tastes good, too!) helped us consume some of the cabbage, but I still had plenty left and decided to look through my cookbooks to see if I could find a new recipe that sounded appealing.  Since I was SURE the Mennonites around here must have a number of good cabbage recipes (since they are skillful gardeners and amazing cooks), I turned to Country Home Cooking by Marjorie Rohrer, and I was not disappointed.  :)

Marjorie calls it "Carolyn's Cabbage Casserole."  I call it good.  ;-)
One note before I give the recipe: instead of using corn flakes (which I did not have), I used stuffing mix (which I did have), and I loved the way it tasted with that.

What you need:

2 cups crushed corn flakes
1/2 cup melted butter
4 cups raw chopped cabbage
1 onion, diced
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated cheese

What you do:

Mix corn flakes with melted butter.  Spread half in a greased 8 x 12 casserole dish (I used a 9 x 13 one).  Layer cabbage and onion on top of corn flakes.  Combine soup, milk, and mayonnaise, and pour over all.  Top with remaining corn flakes and cheese.  Cover with foil.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

I expected the cabbage to really cook down and get sort of soggy, but it actually didn't; instead, it held its crisp texture nicely.  I liked this recipe so much that I'm already looking forward to next year's gardening season...

...and the "problem" of having too much cabbage!  :)

2 comments:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Yummmm, sounds good. I've just used a cabbage from our plot making a couple of bowls of coleslaw. I put some of our own red onion in it too, but the carrots were 'bought' :)

melodie davis said...

Hi, poking around here on your blog this morning (early risers) and was planning to use a reference to Marjorie Rohrer cooking on my blog and found yours! Very interesting and it sounds like you enjoy Valley life. Welcome. I've lived here since college so that makes me almost a native.