Saturday, July 28, 2012

Worth It

This morning, I drove several hours up to northern Virginia, me and all the kids in our trusty minivan.

This evening, I drove several hours to get home, with four tired boys and one sweet girl.

What happened between those two trips made all the driving worthwhile.

You see, I got to spend the afternoon with these lovely ladies...
Roommates from college, we've kept in touch through the years and every so often, we figure out a way to get together.  Unfortunately, we were missing one of our group today.  I guess that just gives us a good reason to not wait so long until the next get-together.  :)

Times like today remind me that investing in friendship is...you guessed it...worth it!

(photo credit goes to Pete, the husband of Jackie...more photos by him coming up in another post...hopefully soon!)  :)

4 comments:

Caroline said...

I wish I knew how to have lasting friendships like that. I want to know, is it rare or the norm for women? Glad you had such a fun reunion with your friends!

Davene Grace said...

Caroline - oh my. What a question! A good, honest, searching question. Thank you for asking it!

I could write a whole post about the subject of friendship...maybe someday I will. But all I know to say now is that I don't feel like I do a great job of nurturing deep friendships like this, but despite that, I have been blessed with a few of these friendships that endure through the years. But don't get me wrong...even though I feel extremely fond of these women, we do not spend a lot of time together. I am terrible at connecting over the phone, so it's not like we're all arranging to chat over Skype every other week. It's not like I remember to send a beautiful, thoughtful birthday card to them every year. It's not like I sit down and write handwritten letters to any of them. It's not like we're intimately involved in the details of each other's lives.

What it IS like, however, is that when we get together, the connection is still there. The mutual respect and admiration we have for each other, along with the common ground of shared memories and shared beliefs, means that we quickly pick up where we left off. And THAT is a great blessing.

As always, I'm left feeling like I'd love to sit down with you and chat further about these things. Someday, right? :)

Caroline said...

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Davene. Yes, I'm still planning for us to meet up at the Ark Encounter in two years!!

Davene Grace said...

Sounds good to me!! :)