Friday, July 20, 2012

The "Don't You Dare Laugh" Trick

When photographing children, it can be somewhat ;-) difficult to get them to look at the camera and smile with a natural grin.  Of course, there are many times when I snap photos of my children when they're engaged in normal activities and not posing for the camera, and I love that.  But there are also times when I want them to look at the camera and smile.  How does one accomplish that?  Is saying "cheese" the best way?  No, not at all.  

Recently I learned (and I forget where, or I would certainly give credit where credit is due) a new trick for coaxing happy faces from my children.  It goes something like this...

Me, with mock sternness:  Whatever you do, don't laugh!
Tobin and Shav: (laughing)
Me: I said, do not laugh!
Them: (laughing)
Me, with hands on hips and a twinkle in my eye: Didn't you hear me?  Don't laugh!
Them: (laughing)
Me, with a teasing grin: Don't even smile!  It's time to be very serious.
Them: (grinning like fools)

And so on...

I used this technique today while taking some photos of Shav for his third birthday, and it worked beautifully.  Even when Tobin hopped into the picture, too, and I was trying to get them to both look and smile at the same time, I was able to accomplish it, with the help of that simple trick.  What's more, it turned what can be a stressful situation (trying to get that "perfect" shot) into a really fun one (that they'll likely giggle about the next time I pull out the camera).  
Try it sometime when you're photographing children.  It just might work for you, too.  But remember, don't you dare laugh!!  ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried this before but I will have to next time. I usually have Sammy say something super silly like belly buttons then he cracks up!

Elizabeth said...

Love this! It sounds so much better than what I am usually saying, "Just one smile. Please? Just one! Come on! Look at me! No, not over there. Look here! Show me your teeth!"

:)