Saturday, July 7, 2012

We're a Lean, Mean, Green Bean Machine

OK, not really.  We're not mean.  We're actually really nice.  But we are quite a green bean machine.


By "we," I'm referring to the whole family: all nine of us, from Grandpa down to Moriah.


OK, not really.  Moriah isn't helping with the green beans this year.  But all the rest of us are.  


See? 


OK, I realize that doesn't show eight people.  Jeff's job is to pick the green beans, so he didn't show up in this picture; and I, of course, was behind the camera.  So you only get six people in the picture.  But these six people are incredible!

Jeff picked the first beans on Thursday evening, and Friday morning found this bunch sitting around the kitchen table working together to prepare the beans for canning.  I was so grateful for my parents' help...and SO PROUD of my boys.  For the most part, their attitudes were good and they showed an eager willingness to work; and each of them proved to be genuinely helpful - even little Shav.


So far we've canned 21 quarts of green beans, eaten some for supper last evening, and have a bunch more in the refrigerator that I plan to cook for lunch tomorrow...and there's plenty more in the garden.

We're a good team, we are; and my cellar shelves are rejoicing as they're being filled with wonderful home-canned produce again.

I told my family, "I sure couldn't do all this without you!"  It's good to be part of this green bean machine.  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great green bean team you have!! I have been getting beans from our CSA.. more than we can eat.. I should totally can some of them!!