Monday, July 9, 2012

One-Fourth of a Year

Today we celebrate the three indescribably sweet months we've had with Moriah since the day she was born.  As I think about her at this stage of life, the word that comes immediately to my mind is "delight" (which is also what I said about her at two months!).  Without a doubt, she is.  She was at two months of age, and this past month has only increased the level of joy she brings to us.
She continues to be an easy baby.  Easy to care for, easy to please, easy to love.  She sleeps through the night virtually every night (up to 10 hours straight through, although I rarely pay attention to the clock to time her sleep), which is a huge, huge, HUGE blessing, one which I appreciate even more because of the sleep challenges we had with Shav.
I don't pay much attention to her schedule for eating either, but I believe she nurses about 5 times during most days.  Once when she wakes up in the morning, once around lunch time, once in the late afternoon/early evening, once after supper, and once right before bedtime.  I've been surprised at how quickly she's settled into a routine with so few feedings, but she's still gaining weight (12 pounds, 15 ounces when weighed this evening), is pleasingly plump, and seems quite content...so I suppose she's not starving.  ;-)  Speaking of plumpness...one day recently the boys spotted Moriah's rolls of fat in her upper thighs.  "What is THAT?" came the startled question.  I guess they're not used to seeing such deep rolls of fat on someone's legs.  When I told them that babies get fat rolls like that and that they, too, had such rolls of fat when they were babies, David said almost indignantly, "Well, my legs don't look like that now!"  Quite true.  ;-)  As for me, I think Moriah's legs are adorable - fat rolls and all.  :)
I posted this on Facebook two days ago, but I want to include it here because it's an important part of who Moriah is at three months of age:  There have been a few times that I thought I heard a chuckle of some sort come from sweet Moriah, but today there was no mistaking it. She was laying on the changing table, and I was talking to her and kissing her while I put a cute outfit on her. Then suddenly, the absolutely delightful sound of laughter. My girl was laughing. The sun just got about 100 shades brighter. Life is beautiful. :)  (And, by the way, the next day when I was changing her, she laughed again.)  :)
The people recently who have expressed an opinion about who Moriah favors all seem to agree that she looks like her daddy.  Maybe so.  I'm never any good at figuring that out; but regardless, I never get tired of looking at her and drinking in the sight of this marvelous, adorable, cute-as-can-be little creature that God gave us.  She does seem to be getting a reddish tint to her hair (and even to her eyebrows, as a friend of mine pointed out yesterday), and she must get that from her daddy because in certain lights, I see that same tint in his hair and beard, too.
Speaking of hair, here's one more snippet I shared on Facebook last evening:  The friendly cashier at Walmart made me smile this evening during my girls-only shopping trip with Moriah. "I like your baby's mohawk!" she enthused. A slight pause, then she added, "Do you cut it like that?" No, my good lady, I certainly do not. That fauxhawk is all natural! ;-)  
Happy three-month birthday, darling Moriah.  You have grown and changed so much in this past month.  For one thing, you're actually looking at the camera in these pictures - something you didn't do in your two-month, one-month, or one-week pictures.  You're learning to cooperate with your mother's prolific picture-taking habit, and I appreciate that!  ;-)  

You have brought such joy to our lives; I hardly have words to express it.  But even if I can't say it like I want to, always remember how much your mommy loves you.

Because I do.

I always will.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It must be such fun to hear her laugh. I am so glad she is a good sleeper.

Valerie said...

10 hours?! I can't even get Adaiah to sleep for 10 hours! :)

She is such a cutie, I can't believe she is 3 months old already. Just thinking about her giggling makes me smile.

busymomof10 said...

Totally Precious! What a JOY!

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Davene, you don't need the perfect words to express that joy perfectly... I can assure you, it comes through loud and clear in your posts :)
And how could it not? What a sweet and precious little bundle she is. (And how I would *love* to be delving into these adorable thigh-rolls right now!)
x

Mike and Katie said...

Amanda just loved Julia chubby little fat thigh too when they first developed. Every time I would change her diaper she would come and squeeze them.