Monday, July 16, 2012

Friends and Relations

My Aunt Helen (my dad's younger sister) was here this past weekend, visiting from her home in Chicago.  Since she stayed with my parents, we got to see a lot of her; and it was nice to have her close enough that the boys could run down to see her, spur of the moment, when they wanted to give her a hug.

On Friday morning, we even included her in our bean-canning project!  :) 
Although the pictures don't show it, she really did snap some beans.  When it comes to harvest time, we're grateful for any extra hands that make the load lighter.  :)

That evening we had a family dinner and included another of the siblings, my Uncle Rufus and his wife Aunt Elaine.  In honor of the occasion, Moriah wore the outfit Aunt Helen gave her (previously modeled here).  :)
Of course, we had to take pictures.  :)
Aunt Elaine needed a turn to hold Moriah.  (Here's a picture of her holding Tobin as an infant.  We're always so glad when she comes to visit!)

Uncle Rufus got a turn, too.
I should have taken a video, not photographs, to show the hilarious interaction that was happening between Moriah and her great-uncle.  Because I'm around my dad on a daily basis and have been for the past (almost) seven years, I've gotten used to the affectionate way he interacts with my babies.  But I have to admit to being surprised (in the best kind of way) by how goofy and silly Uncle Rufus was with Moriah.  I remember him from my growing-up years as a Big Important Person - he's a doctor, and it seemed to me that he was always busy, often distracted, definitely very kind-hearted, but also rather dignified.  Somewhere along the way, that changed.  :)  I don't know what Moriah thought of him, but I sure thought he was funny.  ;-)
It was a really fun evening.  With 12 of us together, the table was long, the noise level was high, and the laughter was abundant.  What a blessing.

The next evening, another blessing came over for dinner.  This time, it was my dear friend Judy, the friend I've had the longest - from elementary school days until now.  It's a treasure to have such a long-lasting friendship.
 Every time Judy comes over, she is so good at getting down on the floor with the boys and having fun with them; and I appreciate that so much.
 I loved seeing her and Moriah together, too.  :)
Tonight I'm giving special thanks for the gifts of love, laughter, and fellowship with (as Rabbit would say in the 100 Acre Wood) "friends and relations."  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whew you guys have been busy! Looks like you are creating wonderful summer memories!

bekahcubed said...

How wonderful to have friends and family all around!

Your photos of bean-snapping are bringing back some nostalgic memories for me. I remember hours and hours of snapping around the kitchen table, listening to records (which makes me sound much older than I actually am) and eating every sixth bean raw.