Tuesday, July 3, 2012

We're OK, But...

(I originally wrote this post on Saturday night; but right before I posted it, our internet service went out.  It has stayed out ever since then, so here I am at our public library, posting from here.  I'm not sure when our internet service at home will be back, so if I don't post for a while, that's why.  Meanwhile, I'm using the extra time at home to get some cleaning/organizing projects done.  Hooray!)  :)

...last night was crazy.  

You may have heard about the severe storms affecting the eastern part of the U.S.  We happened to be right in the path of one of those storms, and we felt its fury.  However, we are all safe; and even though we had to go without electricity for about 18 hours (thus, no blogging or Facebooking or emailing earlier today), that was just inconvenient, not dangerous.  We are grateful.

I will write more--hopefully tomorrow--about the storm and our experiences in it, but for tonight, here is one picture.  The boys were all too frightened to sleep in their own rooms upstairs last evening (and understandably so), so we all gathered in the living room and turned a scary situation into a warm, memory-making one.  They got to "camp out" like we do on Christmas Eve, and this was my view first thing this morning.
Last night as we waited out the storm in the security of our home, my eyes traveled from one of my beloved ones to the next and on to the next and so forth, and I drank in the sight of them. 

Safe and sound.  Together at home.  That's all that really matters.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you get your electricity back soon! It looks like a wonderful sleeping party!

Valerie said...

Glad you are all safe!! The living room camp-out looks like the perfect way to spend a storm.

Sally said...

Sleeping bags?! We were usually roasting over here. We got our power back this afternoon (Tues.), and I was so relieved, so overjoyed, I wanted to cry. It has been a mega-stress for me. No power, no running water (we hauled some in whatever containers we could find from my sister's in Dayton, then after our neighbors got a whole-house generator going, we carted water across the field from their house), serious heat, can't open the fridge or the freezer so what can I figure out for meals, etc., etc., etc. I did my best, but I was worn quite thin until this camp-out started to end today. Anyway, I'm so glad you all have power (we've been wondering if you got your power back yet), and I hope you get your internet back soon. We have cable through Comcast, and ours was up when our power came on.

Carol said...

Glad that you are all okay and what a pleasant scene in your house. Although it can be a mess at times to have kids and sleeping bags all over the house it is what memories are made of.

Kimberly said...

Well done! Not easy, but in the years ahead it will be a memory of a special (though scary) time.