Monday, July 18, 2011

Hope Deferred, Part Three

Part One is here.
Part Two is here.

Earlier today, I stood by the counter in the office of my midwives, glanced down, saw the stack of free pregnancy magazines lying there, noticed the cover picture of a gorgeous pregnant woman showing off her baby bump, and thought, "A midwives' office is no place for a woman who's just had a miscarriage."

I love those midwives; and I'm grateful for the members of their staff, who treated me with kindness and friendliness today (as they do every time I walk through those doors).  But every inch of that place is a reminder of what's been lost:  from the pictures on the walls to the must-be-at-least-eight-months-along woman sitting in the waiting room to the unmistakable cry of a newborn brought along to his mother's postpartum appointment.  It all speaks of what others have and I don't.

As I read back over those two paragraphs, I realize that they sound much more melancholy than I intend.  In reality, I'm doing fine.  I've been buoyed by so many things, not the least of which is all the kind comments left here and on Facebook and the knowledge that so many women are thinking of and praying for me.  I'm deeply grateful.  And so, my office visit today was not remarkably emotional for me, but it could have been if I had been feeling less stable.  My heart goes out to the woman who miscarries, is in the midst of intense grieving, and then finds herself surrounded by images--both real and in print--of happy, smiling, excited pregnant women.  That could be so painful.

I'm certain that my own grief has been tempered by the caution I felt, as did Jeff, from the beginning.  But in those early days, despite the curtain of concern that had wrapped itself around my heart, I found myself jubilant at the thought of another child.  I couldn't help but begin to grow attached, and it didn't take long for my feelings to soar.  For example, I started writing letters--short little notes--to my unborn baby, in an effort to capture how I was feeling at each step of the process.  But after only two, I stopped.  At that point, I had done the pregnancy test that I expected to be dark and definite, but which turned out to be--once again--light and unconvincing.  Maybe at that point I knew what was coming?  But even though I suspected it, hope held out strongly...all the way until there was unarguable proof of the miscarriage and I had to accept what was happening.

Even though it's bittersweet and heart-wrenching for me to read these, I'll include them here as part of the record of this miscarriage...

********

Monday, June 27, 2011 - 10:30 PM

Twenty-four hours ago, I first learned of your existence; and to say that my heart pounded drums of joy inside me would be an understatement.

To be completely honest, I should perhaps say that I first learned of the possibility of your existence because the line in the pregnancy test that told us I am carrying you was so faint that it fell into the category of "if you hold the test tilted just so and if you squint a little and if the lighting is right, there might be an extra bit of blue color down the middle of that window where the line is supposed to be that confirms the test is positive."  It certainly wasn't clear or definitive or obvious.

But nevertheless, my pulse quickened, and my smile broadened; and I proudly carried the test downstairs to show it to your daddy.  When he saw my glow, he remarked, "You really want to be pregnant, don't you?"

Oh, yes.  I surely do.

********

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 6:15 PM

The thought running through my head today is this:  I can hardly believe I get to be pregnant again.  I can hardly believe I'm so blessed as to be chosen for this honor.  After having been given four other healthy pregnancies (and a fifth that resulted in miscarriage), to now have the opportunity to do this again is unbelievable.  I am so honored.

When I packed away my maternity clothes after Shav's birth, I distinctly remember wondering whether I would ever get to wear them again.  How absolutely delightful to think that the answer is yes!

********

Oh, such short-lived joy!  But in the long run, I'm sure it's preferable to find out quickly that a pregnancy can't continue.

Because not much time had passed since I had first found out I was expecting AND because of our concern from the beginning, we had not shared the news of our pregnancy with anyone.  However, that also meant that we had not shared the news of the miscarriage either.  And, although I didn't realize it at first, that bothered me.  I felt like people didn't really know me if they didn't know about that loss.  When I began to open up and tell a few close friends about it, I was blessed by the outpouring of love and support they gave me; and it reminded me anew of how valuable openness is.  Fear and sadness grow best in the dark, but shine the light of confession and open communication on it, and those things shrink until they vanish.  How wonderful that God has created us that way!

I'm not trying to drag this out, and I apologize for the various parts that my story has come out in; but I'm simply not finding the time to sit down and get it all out on paper....er, keyboard.  :)  I suppose that, bit by bit, it will all come out.  If only I had more time to write...  :)

8 comments:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

You write so unbelievably beautifully, Davene. I can't but weep, though I too have been blessed with four children, and wasn't meant for any more. For a number of years I ached after our fourth - thankful for the gifts we'd been given, yet *aching* still. I am more content now (I'm older than you!), and though I still get soooo maternal when I see a pregnant lady or *especially* a nursing mum.... :) I am now more content that this is the way I'll be, and pray God, that if He wills it, I will pour out some of this love on grandchildren...

For you... I hope your hope is fulfilled in time. I really hope it for you. But God's will is always right and good. One day, you and these two precious children, who weren't meant to see this world, will meet. And then, you will understand it all too.

Much love, Anne x

Anonymous said...

"...how valuable openness is."

So true, Davene. Don't apologize for any part of sharing this story with us. You have been sharing with us all we will ever know (until we get to heaven) of this precious sixth child of yours. Your grief is as real as your joy.

Thank you for your openness in this and so many other parts of your life. Thank you, also, for the kind comment you left on my blog. I would love for us to be able to get together in real life over iced tea and talk "church talk" and life and mothering and spirituality, while all our boys played together!

Julie said...

The thing about being pregnant is that you either are or you aren't. And you were. You were carrying a little life for however many days or weeks it was here. That little life fulfilled it's purpose which we don't understand right now, but it was real.

I always thought it was better for people to know about pregnancy because they could 1)understand why I was being totally irrational and exhausted and that it wasn't personal 2)understand why I suddenly looked like I hadn't done my sit-ups for 2 days (ok...vanity) 3)understand what was wrong should loss occur.

No apologies are necessary. Take however much time you need to adjust to how you are feeling and to process through your loss.

You are loved! We are honored to share your journey with you.

Lisa said...

Davene,

I haven't checked on my favorite blogs in awhile and am just now reading your heartbreaking story. My heart aches with you as I read this documentation of pain and loss. Last year at this time I was in your exact situation and am reliving it as I read your story. No one knows the loss you feel unless they've experienced it for themselves. There's a hole or emptiness that can't be filled...but hope comes in knowing that the little heart that was once beating inside you is now with Jesus.

As you work through this, please take all the time in the world that you need to heal (something I desperately needed to hear from friends). If you want to talk — talk. If not — you don't have to. This IS an intense grieving process and only God knows the depth of your pain.

I'm praying for you and Jeff. I wish I were there to hug you!!! My tears and pain are now for you, my dear friend.

Margie said...

Davene - I keep your blog on my desktop and pop over to read periodically to make sure I keep up, and this caught me by surprise! I just want to say that I'm so sorry. But your words are rich, and I hope openly talking about the loss helps you heal. I, too, even though I'm tired and feeling way too old for another, ache for one. Love begets love. I'm sorry, Davene. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sara @ Embracing Destiny said...

Davene - I am so sorry for your loss. I'm crying with you and praying for you. I know that we grieve with hope thanks to our Savior. I have had two miscarriages (Jordan and Noah) and I think of my babies in heaven often. I know I'll hold them in heaven, but I ache for the loss of that opportunity here on Earth.

It's good that you're writing through it because that little life deserves to be acknowledged and remembered and you need to process the loss. As you said, fear and sadness grow best in the dark.

Have you heard the song "Glory Baby" by Watermark? It's a beautiful tribute to a baby lost to miscarriage.

My husband and I named stars on the International Star Registry after our sons. I know others who plant a tree or do some type of remembrance for their baby. Your notes to your baby are a treasure, though so hard to read right now.

Thank you for sharing this with your blog readers. You might never know who you touched by doing this -- either a woman who has grieved a loss in silence or a loved one who might need to comfort someone one day after such a loss.

God bless you and your family!

Mrs. Pittman said...

I don't know about you, but writing is therapy in itself for me, and your story is heartfelt and honest. I'm sorry to hear of your loss but happy to hear of your persevering faith.

BTW- Loved the bathtub pics of your boys :)

Patti said...

I'm so sorry, Davene. I've always loved Proverbs 13:12. May your heart soon be made well.