Monday, July 4, 2011

A Fun, Festive Food for the Fourth

What's red, white, and blue, easier-than-easy to make, and looks and tastes great?  Here's a hint:

I like to give credit where credit is due, but in this case, unfortunately I can't.  I saw the idea for these patriotic fruit and marshmallow kabobs...
...on someone's blog a while back, but I can't remember whose.  It wasn't a blog I normally visit; in fact, it was my first time there and I found it while blog-surfing.  I have no idea the trail I took to get there.  So, if anyone reading this thinks, "Oh, yeah, I saw this over at such and such a place," will you let me know so I can put up a link?  :)

And while we're on the subject of celebrating the Fourth, here are a few quick book recommendations, ones that the boys and I have enjoyed recently because of the mix of history and story:
~ Happy Birthday, America - Mary Pope Osborne (one of the reviews on the back cover of this book says "A surprisingly emotional story," and that's so true; although there's nothing terribly dramatic in it, I can't get through it without a big lump in my throat, at the very least...and at the very most, literal tears rolling down my face)
~ The Scarlet Stockings Spy - Trinka Hakes Noble (the main character's brother dies while fighting in General Washington's army...emotional? yes!...my tender-hearted Josiah, after reading it once, said in a choked voice, "I don't think I want to read it again because it's too sad")
~ Almost to Freedom - Vaunda Micheaux Nelson (about the Underground Railroad...told from the perspective of a doll...I didn't cry in this one!)  :)
~ New York's Bravest - Mary Pope Osborne (about New York firefighters...who can say "New York firefighters" and "September 11" in one sentence without getting a little catch in the voice?..well, don't answer that, because probably a lot of less-emotional people can...but this book, too, gets me a little bit, even though it's about a New York firefighter folk hero from way back when and not specifically about September 11)

A little eating, a little reading, a little crying...what else does a good Independence Day need?  Whatever that may be--parades, fireworks, picnics with people you love, and more--may you find that today!

Hooray for the red, white, and blue!!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! This looks great!

Sarah-Anne said...

happy 4th to you & your sweet boys, friend!! and send me one of those kabobs, pleaseandthankyou?? ;)

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Your Josiah must be like our wee guy. He has that reaction to sad stories too :(

Gorgeous photos - with I'd had these before today and I'd have made some.

Happy Independence day to you all (even though *we* are the ones you left :( ...!

Anonymous said...

I love the symbolism in the new header. And yes, I cried when I read your analogy to the army boots. I also cried at our little neighborhood parade this morning, for no other reason than there was a fire truck rolling by festooned in flags and smiling firefighters. And the sky was blue and there were puffy clouds and my kids and husband were in front of me...

I am also 100% certain all of these books you've suggested would WRECK me. My latest tear-inducer is a sweet book titled John Philip Duck (named after Sousa) by Patricia Polacco. A little boy who works at an Atlanta hotel during the Depression finds a duckling, raises it, and teaches it to march to Sousa tunes! I was fine until the end, which shows the boy as an old man, still drawing flocks of ducks by playing his Sousa marches. I could not finish I was so choked up, and the kids were thoroughly perplexed.

Patti said...

That was me! I guess I accidentally hit "Anonymous".

Davene Grace said...

Patti - I knew it was you. You're definitely my kindred spirit, in regards to getting emotional from children's books. I OFTEN think of you when I find myself getting choked up. ;-)