Tuesday, September 23, 2014

What Does Carl's Jr. Have to Do with Homeschooling?

It's probably been 12 years since I ate a big juicy hamburger from Carl's Jr., one of the Southern California fast-food restaurants that Jeff and I occasionally enjoyed during our San Diego days; but recently I've been thinking about Carl's Jr. pretty often.  Oh, not because I'm craving a 1/2 Lb. Texas BBQ Thickburger or a Famous Star with Cheese, but because of a slogan used in Carl's Jr. advertisements beginning in the mid-1990's.

"If it doesn't get all over the place, it doesn't belong in your face."

Now how in the world does THAT relate to homeschooling?  :)

Here's how: so many times, as we wrap up our morning of homeschooling and begin to shift gears towards lunchtime and afternoon quiet time, I look around at the MESS in the living room and shake my head.  But then, before I can bemoan the situation too much, a thought runs through my half-teacher/half-housekeeper brain.

"If it doesn't get all over the floor, they're not really learning." 

Not quite as catchy as Carl's Jr's, but potentially more accurate than theirs.  ;-)

I've written before about my willingness to let my kids do other stuff besides sitting and listening when I'm teaching them, and my philosophy hasn't changed much since that post.  Is it any wonder then that my floors end up looking like this?  ;-)



Sometimes I get a little antsy, wishing for more of the "just sit down and listen" style of homeschooling and less of the "sure, get out the beads and blocks and make something while I read to you" style.  But then I think of Carl's Jr., and my version of their slogan begins to cycle through my head.

"If it doesn't get all over the floor..."

Thanks, Carl.  I needed that.

:)

1 comment:

sally said...

:) If only my floors looked like that just once a day at the end of homeschooling...

It was encouraging to me to see/read that even in the house of a true veteran and leader in orderliness and cleanliness, there are times of mess and chaos. And I might need to remember your slogan more of the time!