Friday, September 26, 2014

A New Adventure in Food Preservation

It's something I've been wanting to do for several years--drying food, that is.  I remember my mother drying fruit when I was young, and I seem to have inherited her food dehydrator; but up until today, it had sat unused in my cellar, just taking up space on a shelf.

No more.  :)

Today I pushed it into service and loaded up some racks with the last of the fresh peaches we bought at our nearby orchard this summer.  I don't really know what I'm doing, but I hope everything turns out OK.  :)



At least the peaches look pretty!  And--secret confession time--I just snuck a slice off a tray and into my mouth and...YUM!  Now my only regrets are that I didn't start using this dehydrator years ago and that I didn't dry more peaches this summer.  Why did I wait so long?

Oh well.  At least the apple harvest is still ahead of us, and I sure do love dried apples...  :)

No comments: