Saturday, September 13, 2014

I'm Not a Child Anymore...

...but I still get excited when I hear the sound of tractors in the field next to our house and I see our neighbor-over-the-hill chopping his corn.  
Roughly 26 of my 38 years have been spent in this house beside this field, so you might think I'd be used to the sight of this by now.
 But no.  It never gets old to me...
 ...and every time I hear the chopper coming, I want to drop what I'm doing and go out and watch them.
 Sometimes I do!  And sometimes, my kids even come with me.  :)

I'm not a child anymore, but at times I find myself wishing for the pace of life I had in my childhood--especially in times like now when I feel like the workload of adulthood is about to do me in.  (And I don't even "work"!!)  ;-)

Wouldn't it be nice, for a little while, to go back to the time when the agenda of the day included items like listening to a story, coloring a picture, building with blocks...
 ...and going outside to play?


Sometimes I long for the carefree spirit of those days--when the biggest excitement was the sound of a pair of tractors coming up over the rise in the field and the sight of chopped corn shooting into a wagon.

Oh, wait.  Sometimes that's still the biggest excitement of the day.  ;-)  I guess maybe that pig-tailed little girl who grew up in this house is still somewhere inside me; but I think every time she pokes her head out, she catches sight of her 38-year-old version's to-do list, and it scares her so much she disappears.  Maybe one of these days she'll stick around for a while.

After all, there are tractors in the field to watch.  ;-)

No comments: