Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Harvest's End

Did you hear that sound just now?  That was the sound of a huge sigh of relief coming from my lips.  Why?  Because the grape harvest is officially over!!!  :)  (For me, at least.  There are actually still some grapes on the vine, but my neighbor is coming tomorrow to get the rest--a blessing for her, and a blessing for me!)  :)
When I mentioned in this post that the harvest was plentiful, I wasn't kidding; and although I am truly thankful for such abundance, I am also tired.  ;-)  After thinking about and working with grapes for eight days...and after canning 17 half-gallons and 24 quarts, and putting a half-gallon in the refrigerator to drink fresh, making a grand total of 15 gallons of juice...plus, making grape jelly for the first time ever, ending up with 9 pints and 2 half-pints of that...I am relieved to be able to say it is finished. 
This year's harvest was our second-best, surpassed only by the 2011 season in which we canned 17.25 gallons; but our 15 gallons this year was almost double our third-place finish of 8 gallons in 2012.  And then there was the year we didn't get any, but let's not talk about that...  ;-)

My house smells like grape juice, my counters are stained in various shades of purple and blue, rows of jars need carried down to the cellar and put away, and I'm sticky.  ;-)  But most of all, I'm relieved.  :)

With no more grapes to think about tomorrow, maybe I should head to the orchard and get a couple bushels of fruit, you think??  :)

2 comments:

Pam said...

I love seeing and hearing about your grape harvest. Your jelly is beautiful, and to think of all that juice, wow that is amazing. Grape Vines are on my list for one of these days; I love the thought of it. I enjoyed your post…. and now you can have a little break. Have a great week Davene.
Blessing,
Pam

Anonymous said...

wow what a great year!! Your pictures are mouth watering!! We are going on a field trip to a vineyard next week ;-) (with VHE).