Saturday, September 6, 2014

Grapes with Grandma

In years to come, when I think back to the grape harvest of 2014, I'd like to remember...

...that Tobin and Shav were the ones to begin it.
 Since their two older brothers and their daddy were in California when the grapes were ready, Tobin and Shav got to step to the forefront of the work crew and be the first harvesters.  :)





 I'd also like to remember that the harvest was plentiful!
 Some years, the harvesting of the grapes and making of the juice is a one-day project...
 ...but not this year.  The process seemed to linger on and on, but that meant there was abundance, and for that I was grateful.  :)
 But what I'd most like to remember is that my beloved mother, so recently moved to a nursing home, was able to come out several afternoons and be a part of the harvesting.
 Her job was to pick grapes off the stems...
 ...and also, apparently, to hold Moriah.  :)



 It did my heart, so raw from my mother's recent transition, a world of good to see that even though she had moved to a different home, she was still very much a part of ours.

And that reassurance was definitely the best part of the 2014 grape harvest.  :)

4 comments:

sally said...

There is such a strong connection that comes with working together. It's nice to play together, to sit and talk together, but there is something that forms a unique, long-lasting bond that comes from working together. It was that way with my sisters when we were growing up, and I'm conscious of setting that up between me and my children in these present years, and now I see you are doing it now with your mom.

(Maybe not everyone has the same perspective or experience as I do with working together, but that's my take on it.)

So happy you have this time of healing as you adjust.

Valerie said...

The 2nd to last picture made me cry. I just love your sweet family.

Anonymous said...

Yay Tobin and Shav!! Way to be such big helpers! So glad you Mom was able to be a part! I am sure this is a super tough transition for your family!

stephanie (yoder) pellerin:) said...

Wow, Davene, I'm partial to your final B&W photo, but all three pics of your two ladies are wonderful moments beautifully captured to savor at leisure!
...and now i can smell the concord grapes warm in the late summer sun... our first few weeks of school were made better by getting off the school bus, dropping our backpacks in the yard, and ambushing the grape arbor for afternoon snack ;)