Saturday, January 19, 2013

Turning Five, Part...One and a Half??

Tonight I was really hoping to finish up the story of Tobin's birthday that I began here, but then I got caught up with something more important: talking to Jeff. :)  He and I solved lots of the world's problems!  But the birthday post didn't get done.  Maybe tomorrow??
I do want to jot down a couple of quick tidbits about Tobin however--little pieces of conversation that have stood out to me in the past few days.  Like this one...

I forget what the issue was exactly, but I was reprimanding Tobin by saying, "You're just thinking about yourself!"

His response was quick and emphatic:  "I was thinking about my eye patch, NOT ME!"

OK, then.  How very unselfish of you, dear boy.  ;-)

Another time I was reminding Tobin that his boots needed to be put under the foosball table on the porch.  He complained that (insert whiny voice) "it's too ccoooooollllddd."   When I tried to encourage him by saying that he could do it so fast and it would only take two seconds, he answered, "No, it will take THREE seconds!"

Big difference there.  I'm sure your feet will freeze and fall off because of that extra second.  ;-) 

And lastly...  On Thursday of this week, we had snow in the forecast (although we ended up seeing not even a flake).  For some people, when they hear about the possibility of snow, they go into full storm-prep mode and run out to the grocery store for milk and bread.  For us, we head to the woodshed.  We could not possibly be hit by a snowstorm without having plenty of wood brought onto the porch; it would be unthinkable!  :)

All of us turned out to help; and when our task was done, Josiah, David, and I came back into the house while Tobin and Shav stayed outside to play a little more.  I was in the kitchen preparing lunch when Tobin came bursting through the door with something in his hand.  "Look, Mom!" he called, "A dead rat!!  I think the dogs killed it!"

Well, he was mistaken.  It wasn't a rat, but just a little ol' mouse.  But it was quite dead (probably because of poison and not because of a dog), and he was holding it up by the tail in my kitchen!

Needless to say, I quickly shooed him out the door, then I took him to the corner of our property to show him our "animal graveyard" and instructed him to toss the mouse as far as he could into the wilderness of our brush pile, which he did.

I was so glad Tobin was wearing gloves!  :)

More than that, however, I'm so very glad for the spark that Tobin brings to our days.  He's at the stage where I'm just not quite sure what he's going to do and what's going to come out of his mouth.

A newly-turned-five-year-old sure keeps things interesting.  :)

2 comments:

Foxy5 said...

A mouse. A dead mouse. In your kitchen?! I want to go scrub MY kitchen just thinking about it! :)

Valerie said...

oops, I was looking at my old blog the other day and was still signed in. That comment was me. :)