Friday, January 11, 2013

The Last Night as a Four-Year-Old

I don't do this every time one of my children has a birthday; but when I think about it, I pick up my camera the night before the big day and snap a picture or two of them to remember them by.  Because they'll never be this age again.  (For example, here is David the night before he turned four and Tobin before he turned three.)  

Tonight, on the eve of Tobin's 5th birthday, I tiptoed into his room after he was asleep and gazed in wonder at this sweet face.
I'm not sure what I marvel at most:  the fact that five years have gone by since his birth or the fact that he's mine.

Both are wondrous to me.

And tomorrow promises to be a wondrous day, too...of joyful, chocolate-cake making, present-wrapping, happy-birthday-singing, big-hugs-giving, birthday-dinner-preparing celebration!  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Davene, I'm a mother of 4 girls and grandma(mimi) to 2 boys and 2 girls, and I just turned 62, just wanted to say to you what an inspiration you are to me. Yes, that's true, and I'm thankful that you aren't perfect and you don't pretend to be. I'm a preachers' wife and can you believe it I'm not even close to perfect. But we don't have been to be perfect, because Jesus is perfect for us, praise His name! You have been on my heart lately, with your health concerns, and I pray it will all be well with you. I don't know how to do the picture, so I am anonymous for that reason.You have such a sweet family.I've been tuning in for about 6 mos.now.

Davene Grace said...

Thank you so much, "Anonymous," for leaving a comment and sharing your thoughts! What a wonderful blessing to read this; you've definitely uplifted my spirits!! :)