Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Bitten Candle

Once upon a time, there was a boy named David; and nearly three years ago, that boy turned five.  After the birthday party, his mommy discovered that (a certain, two-year-old) someone had taken a bite out of the candle.  And we laughed.
 Today that someone turned five.  Rather than spending the money to buy a new "5" candle, we used the bitten one.  After all, when you push it down into the chocolate icing of the birthday cake (decorated with plastic trees and gummy dinosaurs by the birthday boy himself), you can't even tell the "5" is missing a piece!
But even when it's hidden, we remember.

And we laugh.  :)

2 comments:

Sally said...

That is so funny! It reminds me that back this summer, my mom brought some miniature banana (or pumpkin, I can't remember which) cupcakes (or muffins--about the same). They were in the little paper wrappers. I let each of the kids eat two. Marie had eaten hers and just the wrappers were sitting there. A little bit later, I went to clean up the wrappers, and I couldn't find them. I asked her where they were, and she simply said, "I ate them." I was astonished. She didn't normally lie, but I looked all over for them and asked her several times, and each time she said, "I ate them". I finally concluded that evidently she sure had, because they weren't anywhere else. Now, whenever we have cupcakes in wrappers, we make sure Marie doesn't eat the wrappers.

Margie said...

Happy Birthday to sweet Tobin! Actually, I can't believe he's that age. He was the BABY way back when I started following Life on Sylvan Drive. Happy, happy Birthday to a Big Brother!