Thursday, November 29, 2012

WITH, Not OF

Late Monday night, I read this, and it moved me so much that I decided to throw out my whole agenda for the next day and focus on one simple task: taking pictures with my kids.

You see, I, like so many other moms, love to take pictures of my kids.  When they are posed or candid, individual or group, sleeping or active--it makes no difference.  I have so much fun capturing the moments of their lives through the lens of my camera.

But rarely do I hand off the camera to someone so I can be in the picture, too.  The one notable exception to this is when I'm pregnant; during those times I'm glad to have pictures taken regularly of me so that the growing baby is able to someday look back and see how my body changed during that time (and, of course, so that I can look back and remember, too!).  When I'm not pregnant, however, I've been reluctant to put myself in the picture.

Until I read that article, that is.

Tuesday morning I got started with my mission.  Even though I was dressed in very casual clothes and even though my hair was just twisted and clipped up after my shower that morning and even though I didn't feel fancy, I tried to disregard all of that and simply take a picture with each of my children.

I began with Moriah; and before her morning nap, I set the camera on her changing table and, with the help of the self-timer, was able to take a few pictures of my sweet daughter and I.

Then I tucked Moriah in bed, went downstairs to our library, hung up a white sheet in front of a bookcase, set up the camera on a chair, and stuck a joker hat on my head.  It wasn't hard at all to convince David to take silly pictures with me.

And then it was Josiah's turn.  When I saw his western getup, I got out an old bonnet.
This pioneer lady sure loves her wild cowboy.
Shav wanted a turn with the joker hat, so I wore the goggly-eye glasses.

Then Tobin with his Bibleman cape inspired me to try to be a superhero, too.
We had so much fun using the self-timer on the camera and then running to try to get into our positions before it took the picture.  Lots of laughter while we were doing all of this.  :)
David wanted another turn, this time with his Mario costume.  Fine with me.  :)

We had to take a group shot, of course; and although I wish Moriah could have been in it, too, her sleep seemed more important.  Someday we'll get one of me and all the kids.  :)
On that very fun morning, my mission was simple: disregard the other tasks calling for my time and attention, put aside any insecurities about how I look, and get in the picture with my kids.
Mission accomplished.  :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I needed to read this! These pictures turned out super cute! You can see the joy on everyone's faces!

Miriam said...

Love this! It looks like you all had so much fun, and I'm sure the memories these pictures will hold are priceless. :)

Sally said...

You did great! What a fun time. I don't know if I could "let my hair down" quite that much, but maybe if I had 5 kids I would. (Hahahaha!) It's crazy enough for me with just 4 sometimes. I'm sure everyone had a blast--you can tell it in the pictures.

Tim and Michelle said...

Love these...that article made me think too and inspired me to get is some pictures a few weeks back...but now you've just inspired me all over again!!!

Ruth said...

Here is one person who is going to use the timer on the camera more frequently! That article is good! Thanks Davene:) And by the way,you look good in those pictures;) In a good way, I mean:)

Sally said...

Davene, I printed off the text of part of this post for Paul's grammar lesson. He was supposed to underline all the first person pronouns in a magazine article. Well, we don't have magazines around here, and I wanted something he'd be interested in. I knew he loved your blog, so I just printed off a page of text. After he was finished, he came to me with the paper and pointed out the sentence that begins, "But rarely do I hand off the camera..." and said, "That's true of you too, Mom." I think somebody in our family would like to take more pictures! Hmmm...