Sunday, November 18, 2012

Having a Girl {One Year Later}

One year and two days ago, I lay on my back in a darkened room with cold gel on my bare skin, watching a black and white figure squirm and kick on the screen.  Our baby.  And then the ultrasound technician gave us the marvelous news that we had never heard before: this child was a girl.

This week as I've been remembering the excitement of that week, I've had fun reading back through some of my posts from that time:  the post that first announced it, the details about how we found out and shared the news, the first prayer I prayed for her, more thoughts about having a daughter, etc.  If I thought my joy cup was overflowing back in those days, it's overflowing even more now that Moriah is here with us and has graced us with her presence during the past seven months.  Having a daughter is a delight!  (And to be clear, if God had given us another son, I'm sure I would be sitting here writing about how wonderful that child was and how grateful I was to have the incredible blessing of five sons...)  :)

I love to watch Moriah--just watch her.  I love to study her and notice everything I can about her.
 Like how she sleeps face-down on the mattress, but still manages to get her left hand close to her mouth so she can suck on her two fingers.  I don't know how she sleeps like that; I'm sure I couldn't!  :)
 I love to see the expressions on her face.
 Especially the way she lights up when she sees someone looking at her.
She has brought us SO MUCH joy!

But I'll confess to feeling another emotion recently: anxiety.  In an email to Jeff yesterday, I wrote, "Now I'm officially worried."  Why?  Because Moriah is not gaining weight like I would expect.  She started out in a "normal" pattern--just over 8 pounds at birth (and 19 inches long); 10 pounds, 4 ounces at one month; 11 and a half pounds (and 22 inches long) at two months; 12 pounds, 15 ounces at three months; and 13 and a quarter pounds at four months.  Would you like to know how much she weighs now, at seven months and nine days?

13 pounds, 11 ounces.

Which means that in 3+ months, she's gained a whopping 7 ounces.

Does that alarm you like it does me?

If you're my dad, the answer is no.  "I'm not worried," he told me yesterday when I took her down to his house to have her weighed on the official baby scales.  "She's alert and happy and healthy.  She's fine."

Jeff's reply was the same: she smiles, eats, drinks, pees, poops, babbles, etc.  Just what you'd expect a seven-month-old to do.  Nothing to worry about.

OK, I won't worry.  (Much.)  ;-)

But when I look at the growth charts for a baby girl (like this one, for example) and I notice that she is at the VERY bottom of the range for her age (or maybe even a little below it), it does make me wonder.  Then I look at the chart for length and realize that, at 27 inches, she's in the 75th percentile for that.

I guess she's just a tall and skinny girl.  ;-)

Even before I found out her official weight, I had noticed that her face isn't nearly as chubby as it used to be, and her legs aren't as roly-poly as they once were.  Not that her ribs are sticking out or anything like that ;-), but she has definitely lost some of the plumpness she had a few months ago.  The thing is, she eats like a horse.  Everything I feed her, she gobbles up; and since she has recently started having success with self-feeding finger foods, she really gets excited when she sees Cheerios or other baby finger foods on her highchair tray, and she immediately starts grabbing at them.  She nurses well and is generally quite cheerful.  So everything's fine, right?

Yes, I think so.

Oh, how I hope so!

Despite my concern, I feel a deep sense of peace about Moriah.  What a comfort to know that God's hands tenderly cradle her and His plans for her life are already established!  I'll rest in that knowledge, knowing that my beloved daughter--the one whose presence lit up my life a year ago and hasn't stopped lighting since--is safe.

Safe in Him.

9 comments:

Patti said...

All three of my kids have been slow gaining babies, and they are small kids. It really used to worry me (and still does, on occasion) until I realized that your dad and Jeff are absolutely right--if they are healthy and energetic and bright-eyed, I need to stop worrying. I also haven't looked at one of those charts in a long time, which probably helps ease my anxiety. You are giving Moriah the best possible nutrition (physical and otherwise) and it shows!

Davene Grace said...

THANK YOU, Patti! I was hoping that, by posting about this, I would hear someone share something similar about their children (and not say something like, "Have you ever considered that Moriah has this dreadful disease I've heard about?"). ;-) After Josiah was SO delayed with his large motor skills, I realized that the charts and the expectations of what is "normal" can often induce unnecessary anxiety, so I, too, stopped consulting them most of the time. But when my unofficial observation of Moriah during the past months (i.e. stepping on our bathroom scale with her in my arms and then without her, and then figuring her weight from that) showed me that she just wasn't gaining very much weight at all, I checked the chart to see where she fell on it. I didn't expect her to be quite so low on it, but oh well. She's perfectly the way God designed her to be! :)

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with your children!

Valerie said...

I never had the same concern with my children, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I agree with your Dad and husband. :) That's exactly what I was thinking. To be fair, if I were you I would probably still worry. It's hard not to sometimes. Mama's just want the best for their children.

Misty said...

I agree with everyone else. It seems like nothing to worry about! All of my kids are on the relatively small side. When I had Anastasia at the doctor the past few times she has been in the 0-5th percentile range for weight! But she has always been on the low side, and she eats and acts healthy and she is growing (albeit slowly) I try not worry about it but sometimes it's easier said than done. For what it's worth, Moriah looked perfectly healthy at dinner the other night!

Stephanie B. said...

Lydia, our daughter, went through a stage about the same time where she was very thin. I was a bit concerned, but now at 9 years old, she is just a thin girl.

Sara @ Embracing Destiny said...

All three of my daughters have been on the low end of those charts, too. My two youngest still are at ages 5 & 3. My oldest, almost 11 now, is right on target. All 3 of them are healthy, thank the Lord.

My pedi said that breastfed babies often are at the lower end because those charts are based on formula fed infants. I don't know if that's true for the chart you're looking at, but that's what my doctor said anyway. I used to worry, too. I think the healthy signs of development are more important than a placement on the chart. =0)

Another thought ~ is she going through a growth spurt where she is growing in length more than weight right now? If she has a healthy appetite, it could be that. Is she more active now, maybe crawling or trying to stand up/sit up more? That would burn the calories, too. Sounds like she has a good metabolism!

Dori said...

Davene,

I'll add to the reassuring comments. Brennan went from the 95th percentile at birth to the 14th percentile at 6-8 months. He gained slowly and then actually LOST weight...and I was very anxious about it, even though outwardly everything seemed fine. Well, it has indeed been fine. No worries 1.5 years later. Of course you are concerned, how could one NOT be, esp. when breastfeeding. Praying for peace in your soul!

Sally said...

It is kind of funny to read about how Moriah nurses well, eats lots, etc., and yet is not gaining weight very fast. I've been having quite a bit of trouble with Rachel's reflux, her resisting nursing, and not being very content. Yet, she's growing outstandingly well, both in length and weight (28 1/4" and 18 lbs. 1 oz. at 6 mo.), so I always comfort myself with, "Well, at least she's not a thin little waif and I have to worry because she's not eating". I'm glad Moriah is eating well, and it looks from the pictures like she's doing great. I'm sure SOMEbody has to even out the bell curve after my kids hit the scales!

Miriam said...

She looks healthy to me. :) I know plenty of babies who are at the very bottom of the growth charts and are perfectly fine. :)