Tuesday, November 20, 2012

After the Recital

When life is so full of blessings and happy events, it seems impossible to get everything recorded here on the blog; and so it is now.  But I do want to at least mention one special thing that happened recently.

Josiah and David performed in a violin recital last Friday evening, and I had the pleasure of accompanying them on piano.  For memory's sake, I'll record here that David played Andantino (from Book One of the Suzuki method) and Josiah played Theme from "Witches' Dance" (from Book Two).  I think they both did very well (but of course, I would think that).  ;-)

We took all the kids with us, so I didn't even ask Jeff to attempt to take a picture while the boys were performing.  I knew his hands would be full with caring for the three little ones.  Afterwards however, he did snap these photos for us.
 I wish I would have remembered to have him take these pictures before Josiah and David put their violins away, but I guess it doesn't matter too much.  At least it shows us there, together (along with a little sidekick who hopped into the picture, too).  ;-)
Besides the music, what I want to remember from this recital is that Jeff, who was holding Moriah at the time I asked him to take the pictures, handed her off to the boys' violin teacher (whom we are very fond of), so Megan got to hold Moriah for the first time.  :)

And after the recital, one of the other moms--a lady whom I did not know at all--came up to me and said with a glance at Moriah, "You're brave to bring a baby to a recital."  I laughed and answered something about Moriah being easy-going, but inwardly I was thinking that this was going to be a negative conversation about children and that this woman was probably anti-big-family in her opinions.  Little did I know that the lady has 11 children, and what I expected to be a downer was actually a very uplifting, inspiring conversation!  We were some of the last people to leave after the recital, and I wished that I could have talked with her a lot longer.

Sometimes first impressions are wrong.  Sometimes that's a very good thing.  :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like a totally wonderful evening.

Mike and Katie said...

We visited a new church recently and an elderly lady kept turning around and looking at us as are children were doing their thing. Squirming, chattering, arguing, fussing. I kept imagining she was thinking, "We do have a nursery, you know!"

But after the service she came to talk to us. It turns out she also had a big family of seven children and just loves to see larger families. So nice to hear. So nice to hear. And less annoying than the "you sure have your hands full" that we usually hear. :)