Sunday, June 17, 2012

Two Fine Men, and the Ultimate Father

In honor of the two fine men whom I am privileged to celebrate on Father's Day, here is a memory connected with each of them.  First, Jeff's...

My most memorable Father's Day occurred 10 years ago, when Josiah was just three days old.  At the time, we were living in San Diego, serving a congregation in Imperial Beach; and Jeff had the fun task of preaching on Father's Day.  Fresh from the newness of becoming a father for the first time, his enthusiasm was uncontainable, and it joyfully spilled forth into the sermon he preached that day.  Somewhere we have a recording of that sermon - on a cassette tape, I believe.  Someday I'll find it and listen to it again...and smile at the memories.  But I don't need a cassette tape to remind me of what happened the night before.  Jeff was in the room of our home that he used as his office, finishing up his preparations for his sermon for the next day.  The topic he had chosen was The Apple of My Eye, and he happened to stumble across The Cuppycake Song online.

He told me about it and let me listen to it, and I bawled like a...well...baby as the enormity of my love for my firstborn son swelled up and overflowed.  Although I'd heard plenty about the love of a parent for a child, nothing could have prepared me adequately for my own experience with it; it overwhelmed me in the best possible way.  It overwhelmed Jeff, too, and his sermon on that oh-so-special Father's Day reflected that passionately.  It was an amazing day; and that song, by the way, became the lullaby that I crooned to Josiah for years to come...and still do, every once in a while.  :)

Second, for my dad...

This incident did not happen on Father's Day, but I share it anyway because it stands out in my memory as an example of the love I've received from my dad.  It happened one year in February when I was very sick and had a high fever.  Apparently we didn't have the best kind of medicine here at home for me, so Dad took a trip into town to go to a pharmacy and pick up some for me.  When he returned, not only did he have the medicine, he also had a heart-shaped box of chocolates for me.  This was highly unusual for him - in fact, the only time I ever remember him doing this for me.  Although he demonstrated his love in many ways, fancy boxes of chocolates weren't high on the list.  ;-)  But the uniqueness of that gift impressed me so much that I saved that box for years (it didn't take me that long to eat the chocolates however). ;-)  And obviously, I still remember it as a special expression of my dad's constant, caring love for me.

Two more things I want to share on this special day.  This song which never fails to touch my heart...

...and this picture of Moriah being held by Jeff this evening.
Safe in Daddy's arms.  Is there any better place to be?

And to think that we can all make the choice to run to our Daddy's arms!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is no where better to be. I was so thank yesterday that God allowed JDaniel3 and I to be JDaniel4's parents.