Sunday, June 10, 2012

Scripture Verses for Labor and Delivery

I've already written quite a bit (understatement!) about Moriah's birth (here are Parts One, Two, Three, Four, and Five of her birth story), but one thing I haven't yet recorded is the list of scripture verses I had written out on index cards in the weeks leading up to her birth.  These verses saturated my soul with peace and strength; and even though during the actual process of labor on that glorious Monday morning I didn't pull out the cards to review them, I know that the truth of these verses was present enough in my mind to be sustaining me even then.  If I ever go through labor again (and that's a big if because at my advanced maternal age, nothing is a given!) ;-) I want to remember these verses that were so extremely helpful as I prepared for Moriah's birth.

Some of these verses come from the book Supernatural Childbirth which I read and reread as the end of this pregnancy approached.  Every time I mention reading that book, I feel like I ought to write a whole post about it because it is somewhat controversial; but since I've never written that post, here is a quick summary of my thoughts about the book.  First, I am utterly convinced of the strong connection between a woman's thoughts during labor and the amount of pain that she has.  I can vividly recall during each of the times I've given birth the moment when I've mentally "lost it" and allowed fear to overwhelm me.  Before that moment, I either didn't have any pain or it was very minimal; but when I lost the mental peace, I felt the pain intensely. Second, I would never want the idea of a pain-free (or minimal-pain) childbirth to be a test of a woman's salvation or spirituality or level of faith.  In the same way, I would never want a woman's ability to conceive and bear a child to be a test of her faith.  I'm cautious with that book because I know that it's written so strongly that a woman could walk away from it feeling condemned by her inability to measure up.  That doesn't mean that the book doesn't contain a lot of truth and a lot of Godly encouragement because I absolutely think it does.  But the idea that "if you have enough faith, you'll have a pain-free childbirth" means that there are a whole lot of women (myself included) who could think, "Well, then, I don't measure up."  With all of that said, however, I do really appreciate what I learned from the book and how it helped my faith to grow.  Of course, much of that growth came from these verses from the Bible and the power of God's very words!

Two quick notes before I list the verses.  First, I freely admit to using whatever version spoke the most to my heart.  If the NIV hit the nail on the head, I wrote those words down on my card.  If it was the NLT, I used that.  Or whatever the case may be.  I usually didn't mark down which version it was (although obviously with the first verse in the list, I did make a notation; that was primarily because I rarely - or never - use the CEV, but in this case the words were so comforting that I really wanted to use this version).  Second, I'm sure it's probably obvious why I chose these verses so I won't comment on most of the verses as I go along; but I might say a little something about a few of them.

Here is the list...

My child, Christ Jesus is kind, and you must let him make you strong.
~ 2 Timothy 2:1 (CEV)

There is no fear in love.  But perfect love drives out fear...
~ I John 4:18

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us.
~ Galatians 3:13
(Supernatural Childbirth talked about how pain in childbirth is a consequence of the fall, not part of the original plan of God for women.  If Christ has redeemed us from the other consequences of the fall, why not this one, too?)

Surely he took up our (weaknesses) and carried our sorrows.
~ Isaiah 53:4a

Jesus spoke to them at once.  "Don't be afraid," he said.  "Take courage.  I am here!"
~ Matthew 14:27
(I heard a great sermon on this text a couple of months before Moriah was born, and it really helped my faith to grow.  When I was in labor, I definitely felt the presence of the Lord with me ("I am here!" - He really was) as I prayed my simple prayer, "Carry me," which I wrote about here.)

They will not toil (labor) in vain or bear children doomed to misfortune; for they will be a people blessed by the Lord, they and their descendants with them.  Before they call, I will answer; while they are still speaking, I will hear. (While they are still talking about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers!)
~ Isaiah 65:23-24

This is the Lord's doing, and it is wonderful to see!  (The Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes!)  I will not die; instead, I will live to tell what the Lord has done!
~ Psalm 118:23,17

Give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you...  Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.  Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
~ Romans 12:1-2

I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
~ Philippians 4:13

The midwives answered Pharoah, "Hebrew women are not like Egyptian women; they are vigorous and give birth before the midwives arrive."
~ Exodus 1:19
(This verse reminded me that the women with a covenant are not like the women without a covenant which helped me deal with the thought of "if the vast majority of women have terrible pain during childbirth, why would I expect to have it any different?"  But let me reiterate that I do NOT think having pain in childbirth means a woman is not walking with God or isn't under the covenant.)

Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.
~ Ephesians 3:20

His divine power has given us everything we need...through our knowledge of him...his own glory and goodness...he has given us his very great and precious promises...participate in the divine nature...make every effort to add to your faith goodness...knowledge...self-control...perseverance...godliness...brotherly kindness...love...
~ 2 Peter 1:3-7

How joyful are those who fear the Lord - all who follow his ways!  You will enjoy the fruit of your labor.  How joyful and prosperous you will be!  Your wife will be like a fruitful grapevine, flourishing within your home.  Your children will be like vigorous young olive trees as they sit around your table.  That is the Lord's blessing for those who fear him.
~ Psalm 128:1-4

Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.
~ Psalm 127:3

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.  Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.  Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.  His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
~ Philippians 4:6-7

He will love you and bless you and increase your numbers.  He will bless the fruit of your womb... You will be blessed more than any other people.
~ Deuteronomy 7:13-14

So let's not get tired of doing what is good.  At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up.
~ Galatians 6:9

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
~ Proverbs 3:5-6

The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace.
~ Psalm 29:11

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee.
~ Isaiah 26:3

Besides these verses, I also wrote on an index card the words of this song:
Like a river glorious is God's perfect peace,
Over all victorious, in its bright increase;
Perfect, yet it floweth fuller every day,
Perfect, yet it groweth deeper all the way.
Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest
Finding, as He promised, perfect peace and rest.

Someday my dearly-loved daughter may be pregnant and preparing for the birth of her own child.  I pray that in that time, Moriah will find verses to drive away fear and fill her with hope and peace and joy.  Maybe some of these that ministered life to my spirit as I carried her in my womb will do the same for her!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

These are amazing verses filled with truth! What a great baby to prepare for Moriah's birth.

Valerie said...

Bookmarking this post. <3

Valerie said...

Davene--
Love all those wonderful verses. Nice for other moms-to-be to have them to use.
(I did have to grin at your phrase "advanced maternal age"---My hubby's mom was 35 years of age when she had her FIRST child....and she then went on to have seven more (the 7th of which is my Douglas!!) You're just a spring chicken!! "Granny B" is the youngest 96-year-old that I can imagine (and she has all these wonderful children to help her in her "advanced maternal age"!!)
Love watching Moriah (and all your boys) growing
<3 Valerie B

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these. I will be having my first child in the next few weeks. I want to print many of these out to put around the room to help me focus during labor. Just what I needed!

Laura A. said...

I'm praying for a friend who is delivering at home now and was wanting a reminder of some of the covenant promises. I appreciate your balanced response to this book!

Anonymous said...

Bless your soul for this, I left my book supernatural childbirth @ home and I traveled, I've been looking 4 verses then I found your page. The scriptures helped me during my 1st daughter birth and sustained her. I intend depending on God for this one after suffering previous miscarriage. The Lord lives

abbashalom said...

Thank you for this. I've been looking for scriptures to help me prepare for my next baby as my first was rather horrendous. These are very very helpful. Thanks again

abbashalom said...

Thank you for this. I've been looking for scriptures to help me prepare for my next baby as my first was rather horrendous. These are very very helpful. Thanks again