Saturday, December 10, 2011

Holding Him Longer

Our very quick trip to the library today turned into something much longer than "very quick," and my few books that I wanted to get transformed into 38 items we checked out (added to what we had previously checked out, we now have 73 books, CDs, and movies from the library floating around our house).  Sometimes I try to deceive myself; but in reality, I don't think we're destined for "quick trips" and "few books" when it comes to the library--not in this season of life anyway.  I'm such an impulsive "buyer" when it comes to the library--"oh, this book looks interesting; let's get it!"...and "here's another Anansi book; I should add that to our pile!"  It's truly a great thing that it doesn't cost us anything!!  :)

One of my unplanned book grabs today was Let Me Hold You Longer by Karen Kingsbury.  I had heard of the book and its underlying premise that just as we celebrate the many firsts our children achieve, we should strive to be aware of the lasts as they grow up, and consequently treasure the fleeting time when they are small.  I don't know about you other moms, but I ALWAYS need that reminder.  It's way too easy to get distracted by the overflowing laundry in my laundry room and the umpteenth childish conflict I've had to referee, and lose sight of the preciousness of these days with young children.  So I knew the essence of what the book would say, but had never read it...until tonight, right after I got all the boys in bed, a little later than usual because of our family drive after supper through a nearby housing development to admire the Christmas lights and especially the luminaries set out along all the roads.  After that, Jeff suggested we drive through McDonald's for hot fudge sundaes from the dollar menu; and then we returned home to get boys into pajamas and brush their teeth, then listen as Jeff read from our Advent book (Tabitha's Travels by Arnold Ytreeide is what we're reading this year).  When all the boys were settled in bed, I breathed my customary sigh of relief and walked down the steps to the kitchen to have a little me-time.

Then my eyes spied Let Me Hold You Longer.  "I need to sit down for a few minutes and rest my bones before I do anything else," I told myself.  "I'll just read this book, then hop up and do something productive."

I read it.  My definition of "productive" changed.  Rather than starting the washing machine or unloading the dishwasher or making sure the living room was neat and tidy or putting more wood on the fire, I did the only thing I could do:  walked right back up the steps to see if any boys were still awake that I could love on some more.  Son-time was more important than me-time at that moment.

Tobin, as I expected, was already asleep.  The excitement of the day, combined with no nap, had taken its toll, and he was out.  So I walked into Josiah and David's room, noticed that Josiah was engrossed in a book (I had told him he could read a little longer after we had said goodnight), then crawled into the bottom bunk to check on David.  He, as I expected, was awake.  "Can I cuddle with you a little bit?" I asked him. "Can I share your pillow?"

"Yeah!" he replied. "You can stay in my bed every night until midnight!!"  Such a warm welcome.  ;-)

I didn't know how the conversation would go and had no preconceived ideas or hidden agenda; I was content to let it simply flow.  And flow it did...from David's question to me of "do you know that every night, I get up after you say good night to me and get a little drink of water?" to his query about my body pillow that I've started using during this past week that supports my pregnant body better than a regular pillow ("how does it work?" he asked me) and then to conversation about babies and birth stories (he wanted to hear his and then hear Josiah's) and on to the inevitable question of "how do babies get out?"  What better time and place for sex ed, I suppose?!  ;-)  

I briefly explained about the third hole that women and girls have, using correct terms and managing to keep a straight face and matter-of-fact tone of voice.  And then his quick mind caught the implications of our anatomy lesson.  "You mean," he began, "when you have a baby, the nurse sees your privates???"  

"Yes," I told him.  "The nurse, and the midwife, and whoever is in the room."

With his characteristic exuberance and dramatic acting ability, he let his breath out in a whoosh and said, "I am SO GLAD I am not a girl!!!!!"   :)
 Me, too, David Dear.  Because if you were a girl, you wouldn't be YOU.
And I love YOU so very much.  

David, my David.  You are David the Beloved.  How thankful I am that I didn't miss out on the treasure of our moments together tonight!

6 comments:

Heart of Wisdom Academy said...

How sweet. We ALWAYS have the best conversations at night in bed; but I am NOT a night person. I have to really work on denying myself to snatch these precious moments. Thanks for the reminder. David is sooo cute.

Anonymous said...

So sweet! Sounds like a wonderful book!

Unknown said...

This book really sounds special! I loved getting to read about your snuggle time.

Margie said...

Oh so lovely! Want to be there, too - holding them longer and treasuring the moments. So often, all I think I need is more time to myself...but these days, too, shall pass and far too soon I'll have too much time alone. (This was a model comment about how to use "too" 4 times in close succession.)

Valerie said...

Oh how I wish we had a good library here! I have to pay for every book I check out...which means I don't check any out. :(

My husband and I were talking about how time seems to be going by so quickly now that the kids are getting older. My oldest will be 9 in just a few days. Last year of single digits. Lord help me... I just don't want to miss anything.

Sarah-Anne said...

that is too cute! i love Karen Kingsbury's books.
also, we're reading Jotham's Journey for the 3rd time this Advent season...my little brother & I love them! i'm so glad ya'll are reading them as well!