Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Best Part of the 2011 Fair

Last year, the best part of the fair was seeing that my friend Emily won a blue ribbon for a great photograph she took of my adorable Shav.

This year, I very much enjoyed seeing the photos she entered and the ribbons she won, as well as the photos entered and ribbons won by a few other friends.

I also enjoyed other aspects of the fair, like...

...Tobin gazing through the cages of the poultry and rabbits...

...funny roosters staring at me...

...my boys staring at thousands of bees...

...eating, for the first time, a deep-fried Twinkie (we shared two, and all of us thought they were good--definitely better than non-deep-fried Twinkies!)...  :)

...seeing the bright lights of the rides show up brilliantly as the sky grew darker...

...watching my sons enjoy the thrill of rides at the fair...

...and so much more (like bumping into friends and chatting for a few minutes and wishing for more time with them).

But without a doubt, one moment at the fair tonight eclipsed all of those pleasures.  It was the moment when we walked into the photography exhibit; and I saw, hanging from the one photo I entered this year, a ribbon.
 It mattered not at all to me that it was third place, not first.  I was just so surprised that I even won anything!  There are so many photos entered, and they are so good, and I feel like such a newbie amateur simpleton in the world of photography.  So to find a ribbon--any ribbon--hanging from my photo felt like the most wonderful surprise.
 No wonder I had such a big smile on my face.  ;-)

11 comments:

Miriam said...

Congratulations, Davene!!! That IS a wonderful picture! I'm glad you entered it and that you got a ribbon!

Unknown said...

well done you clever girl! you have come along in leaps and bounds with your photos -- how nice to be recognised for your talent.

Bonnie said...

Great Job Davene! Isn't it fun, trying not to get your hopes up, but still wondering if (once you get to your entry exhibit area) if there will be a ribbon.
Lovely fair pictures, I miss that ferris wheel being at our fair. I HATE ferris wheels with a passion, but at least when B. drags me on one, I felt a tiny tiny tiny bit safer.

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Oh that photo deserved it, no doubt. I'm not at all surprised you won a prize for a photo - you have so many wonderful photos - many of them are so emotive too... for me anyway :)

Well done!

Unknown said...

Congrats! The fair looks like it was filled with wonderful things.

Anonymous said...

LOL! The first thing I thought of was if you ate any of that great "fair food". We had deep-fried Oreos last time we went. YUM!

Congratulations on your winning photo! How very special for you.

And speaking of photos, OH MY! Is there any way you can send me a copy of the pic you took of the Ferris wheel lit up at night? I'm serious. It is beautiful!

Sarah-Anne said...

congrats on the ribbon friend!! that is too cool! :D

Davene Grace said...

Thanks so much, friends! Your encouragement means the world to me. :)

Mary - yes, I can send you a copy of that ferris wheel picture! I'll do it right away. :)

Elizabeth said...

Way to go Davene! You are truly a talented photographer, and deserving of that award!

Anonymous said...

wooohooo WTG!!!

Leah said...

That photo is great, Davene! Congrats on the ribbon! It looks like Josiah & David were excited for you too.
I was at the fair late Weds. & Thurs. nights as well as Thursday morning with a slew of 2-5 year-olds. My friend wants to see the demo derby on Saturday so.. we'll see. :)