Sunday, March 25, 2012

Why I'm Grateful for the Internet

Sometimes I don't like the Internet.  Sometimes it makes me sad.  Sometimes it entices me to waste time I should be using on other, more worthy pursuits.  Sometimes it frustrates me to no end and makes me want to pull my hair out!

But most of the time, I'm immensely grateful for the technological advances that have occurred during my lifetime that have brought us to the place of touching a button and being connected (in an almost unbelievable way, if you stop and think about it) with the world.  Here are three recent incidents that reminded me to pause to be thankful for the wonders of the Internet.

First, my Aunt Elaine sent me an email (email is awesome) with a link to this video on YouTube (YouTube is awesome...sometimes):

I had never heard of Celtic Thunder before...or of Damian McGinty...and I only recently became acquainted with the song "A Place in the Choir."  In fact, the only reason I knew that song is because Josiah had performed it with the Shenandoah Valley Children's Choir just days before my aunt sent me this video.  As much as I enjoyed this video, I knew Josiah would enjoy it even more.  He did, but not just him: all my boys clustered around to watch this video over (and over and over!), and they smiled and laughed and danced and sang along happily.  None of that would have happened without the Internet.

Second, Sara from Embracing Destiny had posted on Facebook about some online resources for language arts, specifically this link to a list of 10 Best Online Games for Homeschool Language Arts.  Knowing that grammar is probably the weakest link in the homeschool education of my mathematically-minded firstborn, I was eager to check out the games; and that's when I discovered Grammar Ninja, which was a perfect way for Josiah to study grammar that day.  It's a simple game, really; but if that entices him to practice identifying nouns and verbs and discerning the difference between adjectives and adverbs, I'm all for it!    Only because of the Internet was it possible for me to find--and Josiah to utilize--that activity.

Third, I received a wonderful package in the mail at the end of this past week from a kind blogger named Stacey.  Although we do have one mutual real-life friend, Stacey and I have only connected through blogging; and yet she graciously sent me a package of beautiful things for Baby Girl...things which she herself made!
 Things like...
 ...blankets...
 ...and burp clothes and crocheted washcloths...
 ...and even a nursing cover for me!  That's something I would not have bought for myself, because I had one (a very well-used one that I got before Josiah was born) and didn't *need* another one.  But can I just say how happy the new one makes me?  Sometimes it's the little things we don't really need that give special pleasure.  :)
I had so much fun opening the package from Stacey...and looking through everything...and looking through it again...then putting it away tonight in Baby Girl's room.  What a sweet, thoughtful thing to do, Stacey; I appreciate it so much!

Without the Internet, she and I would never have connected.  Truly, the Internet is a gift.  :)

5 comments:

Stacey said...

so so glad you like everything! I am so excited for you to have this baby, I can barely stand it.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful gift! The song was great to hear!

Rebekah said...

Davene, thanks for the song! It's been a long time since I heard that one! :) How fun. I've been enjoying your ponderings this morning. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to meeting this little tyke of yours someday!
Rebekah Y.

Anonymous said...

Ohh gotta love the good things that come from the internet..and remember to keep the bad things in check :-)

Sarah-Anne said...

the Internet is a great place...even getter when you get gifts from Internet friends! ;)