Friday, March 2, 2012

Two Tidbits

I planned to finish writing my weekly (errr...biweekly) pregnancy update tonight for weeks 33 & 34, but I have no strength for the task.  My customary late-night, the-kids-are-in-bed-and-the-house-is-quiet energy surge has not yet materialized, so I'm thinking that an early bedtime is the best option for me.  So, two quick tidbits, and then I'm done.

First, Jeff has found a new way to bond with his sons (as if he needed a new way!).  It's a game on his new(ish) phone; and although I don't know what it's called, I do know that it has to do with smashing bugs on the screen.  From what I've overheard, you're supposed to smash the ants; but if you mess up and smash a bee, you die...or something like that.  Thrilling, right?  But this was the scene last evening while supper was finishing being cooked:
Obviously, all the boys were enthralled by their daddy's stunning ability at smashing (fake) bugs on a telephone screen.  He's a man of many talents, that one.  :)

Second, it's totally normal, of course, for children to mispronounce words as they are learning to talk; but certain mispronunciations are so individual to a child and so stinkin' cute that they become part of family lore.  In our case, I think of Josiah saying "ickabee" for ambulance and "efadator" for refrigerator.  David said "gwink" for drink, and he's the one who started using "I-yah" for Josiah.  And there are other funny words, too...

Well, now it's Tobin's turn to contribute to the family in this way; and my new favorite of his is the way he says "regular."  He gets the "reg-" part right, but instead of adding "-ular" to it, he says, "-ible."  It turns out to be "regible," not with a "j" sound for the "g," but with the hard "guh" sound.  I love to hear him say it, and sometimes I'll ask him to say it just so I can smile when he does.  :)  I did that this afternoon (because I wanted to check if he still says it that way before I wrote about it on the blog), and it was so cute:  he paused, thought hard, said, "watch me the whole time," then concentrated to say the word exactly right.  But what came out was not "regular," but...you guessed it..."regible."  ;-)

And now, I hear occasional thunder in the distance.  It's a good night to grab a book, dive under the covers, and see how far I get in it before sleep overtakes me.  I have a hunch it won't be very far at all.  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love little mispronunciations! My favorite of Sammy's is s-ca-betty (for spaghetti)!

Unknown said...

We had heavy rain and thunder all night. I hope is lets up during the day today.