Thursday, March 22, 2012

It's a Start

Yesterday I mentioned that I was nesting in the area of food and was hoping to get started with freezing meals for those time-consumed-by-care-of-a-newborn weeks after Baby Girl is born.  And today--happily--I started!  The freezer, which I got a chance to organize yesterday, was waiting for its first contribution to the Post-Baby Food Fund.
 The entire top shelf was emptied of everything and eager to be filled.
 And here is its first new resident: curried lentils.
 It's slightly ridiculous how giddy this food preparation is making me.
But ridiculous or not, I don't care.  I'm having fun.  :)

One dish down...how many more will I get done before Little Miss arrives on the scene?  :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What an amazing treasury of food!

Miriam said...

Woohoo! Having food in the freezer has been WONDERFUL these past two weeks since our girl was born. I know you're going to enjoy having a stash, too!

Anonymous said...

Yay so glad you got started!! Such a blessing once your sweet pea gets here!

Valerie said...

I need a deep freezer! We have a side by side fridge (dislike. Would never buy again - although I do drink A LOT more water with the water/ice in the door) and the freezer space is lousy. My husband (bless his heart) can't cook for anything. I really need to follow your lead on this one and prepare some freezer meals before the new baby comes. (plenty of time... but first, buy a freezer)

Have fun watching that freezer fill up! That will be so nice to have in a few short weeks (days?!) ;)

Unknown said...

YAY! What an awesome job! :) That is one of the best things I've ever done before a baby! :)

You are so close to meeting your wee one! :)

Jolanthe Erb said...

Now I am really wanting a stand up freezer!! We have a chest freezer and it's driving me nutso. :) I've tried to organize it as best as I can. Where do you get all of your containers?

Davene Grace said...

Jolanthe - I'll sheepishly admit that we have this upright freezer AND a chest freezer. Both were left here by my parents. The chest freezer is ancient - truly. I keep expecting it to kick the bucket; but since it was made back in the days when things were MADE RIGHT, it will probably outlive us all! ;-)

However, this stand-up freezer is much more convenient than the chest one. I always feel like I'm standing on my head when I dig around in the depths of the chest one to find a certain cut of meat that I'm SURE I had in there somewhere. ;-)

As for the containers...once more, the answer is that they came from my mother (and some from my grandmother, too). They are the freezer containers that we've *always* used, as long as I can remember. I have absolutely no idea where containers like these would be available now. Estate sales maybe? ;-)