Friday, March 9, 2012

Baby Blessing: Your Turn to Talk!

I've written a lot about this pregnancy, which is not surprising in the least because every pregnancy is so unique and special to me that I can't bear to think of letting all the little details float away into oblivion.  So I write, almost as if it were my first pregnancy, to attempt to capture the multitude of precious moments that make up a pregnancy...but not only that.  I also do my best to keep these posts real and confess my shortcomings and struggles as I go through this time of growing a baby--to remember the good and the bad, the easy and the difficult, the joyous and the troublesome, all wrapped up together.  I think, even if I had a dozen kids, I would take great delight in recording each pregnancy in this way.

But now, I'm stilling my fingers and keeping my words from spilling because I want to hear your voice, and I have five specific questions to ask you.  For those who are willing to share input, thank you in advance!  :)

Question 1:
When do you predict this baby will be born?  
This is not just a question; instead, it's a question with a reward (sort of like Paul speaking in Ephesians 6:2 of a "commandment with a promise").  :)  Since I completely forgot to have a giveaway when my one-year anniversary of blogging at this site rolled around in January (which would be my five-year anniversary of blogging, period), I knew I wanted to have a giveaway in connection with my baby's birth.  So the simplest way is to have a contest and see who gets closest to guessing the date and time of my little girl's birth.  To help you out, I'll tell you that her due date is April 7.  Josiah was born 1 day before his due date, David was born 12 days early, Tobin came 4 days early, and Shav was the lone hold-out for lateness, finally being born 2 days after his due date.  Does that narrow your guess?  ;-)  If you're so inclined, you can leave a comment on this post with your best answer (day AND time); and whoever comes closest will win the prize!

Question 2: 
What do you think her name will be?
My kind friend Mary is the one who got me thinking about this question when she told me she had some guesses for the name.  :)  In a comment on this post, she guessed Sarah, Rebecca, or Miriam--all lovely names, made even sweeter by the fact that I know some wonderful Sarahs, Rebeccas, and Miriams!  :)  But none of them, however, is The Name, so the field is still wide open for guesses.  I'll give you two hints: first, as Mary suspected, it is a word that appears in the Bible; and second, it does not begin with the same letter as any of our other children's names.  I'm sure that narrows it down considerably!  ;-)  If any of you (who don't already know the name by other means, of course!) happen to guess the correct name, I just might have to throw in an extra bonus prize.  I also might have to eat my hat!  

Question 3:
What songs would you recommend I listen to during labor and delivery?
There is so much I could say about this, but I'm really trying to keep this post short (although I think I'm failing!).  Suffice it to say that I want to do my best to be mentally prepared and focused for the upcoming task of delivering this tiny blessing, and I know that music can play a huge role in that.  Do you have recommendations for songs that you think would be helpful?  (And obviously I'm more interested in the Praise & Worship genre than the Pop/Rock category!)  ;-)

Question 4:
What scriptures do you think would be helpful for me to meditate on during labor and delivery?
I want to feed my spirit, rather than my flesh, during that crucial time; and I'm writing specific verses on notecards so that I can take them with me to the hospital and use those words of life to be strengthened by, rather than focusing on the fear that could naturally overtake me.  What verses would you recommend?

Question 5:
Is there anything else you would like to ask me?  Anything I "should have" written about during this pregnancy, but haven't so far?  Anything you've been wondering about?
The floor is yours; feel free to ask away!

And now, if you'll excuse me, maybe I should go take a nap or something...  I'll be back later...yawn...  ;-)

22 comments:

Wonder said...

happy napping to you :). I watch my girls pretend to be pregnant and have babies (for a while my youngest was delivering baby dolls on a daily basis...love it). it is so fun to guess baby names, so here's my guess...Grace? That is a beautiful Bible word :). We have a Charis which means "grace" :). blessings to you and your sweet family.

Lauren said...

Birth date I guess 3/4/12 at 10pm, as for the name, I read a post one night before bed and then had a dream that you named you daughter Clare, but after a quick google I couldn't find a reference to Clare in the bible so my second and official guess is Chloe.
Best of luck for the last few weeks, I'm sure they will fly by, well for me at least

Lauren said...

Ha, I just remembered that in Australia, we flip the dates, I don't think you baby will be born in the past :) 4th of April 2012

Valerie said...

Thats a lot of questions!
Ok, I think she is going to come ON her due date. Or will she be early? Ahh! The pressure!! Ahem. Ok, on her due date. 4:00(ish) in the afternoon. I have hounded you with baby names enough, so I'll skip that one. :) Songs for labor? Great question! I'm a David Crowder fan. How He Loves is a great song. Have you ever seen the youtube video of the woman singing while in labor? Well, I bet there is more than one video. This is the one I am referring to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WA9iHz5ww
I love it. Makes me wish I could sing... and handle labor with such beauty and grace. Scripture? 2 Corinthians 12:9
My question for you... Do you wear your babies? :) aka: are you a sling/baby wrap wearing mama?

Emily said...

My guess for her birthday is April 8th, 8pm. An Easter baby!
My name guesses would be Abigail, Hannah, Esther or Naomi - all good strong names. She has to be strong enough to deal with all the big brothers around her!
I was going to suggest the same song as above "How he loves". Another song "Desert Song" by Hillsong.
For verses Ps 29:11 & John 14:27

Tim and Michelle said...

My guess is April 1st at 2:20 am :).

Have you ever heard the Hidden In My Heart: A Lullaby Journey Through Scripture songs? They are for kids, but I find them so worshipful/soothing/relaxing :). I have heard some people like vol.2 even better!

Baby name...How about...Aliza, Eden or Moriah? :)

Sara @ Embracing Destiny said...

1. April 5th at 7:02 am

2. I was going to vote for my name, but I see that's not it. ;0) You said a "word" in the Bible, not necessarily a name, so I'm going to guess Lily. Grace? Faith? Hope? Names might be Rachel, Mara, Anna, Leah, Elizabeth? Is that too many guesses? LOL All my girls have Bible names and there are still many I would choose if we were blessed with more daughters. Whatever you choose, I know it will be just right for her.

3. I recommend the Avalon "Faith: a Hymns Collection" CD or just about anything by Selah. Watermark is another favorite.

4. Romans 8 was my focus during labor. With every push (and I pushed for 3 hours with my first daughter after 30 hours of labor!), I said, "I am more than a conqueror through Christ." Romans 8:37 All of Romans 8 was a comfort, though, but that particular verse was my focal point. ;0)

5. I'd be interested in reading about how you handle homeschooling with a newborn. Will you take some extended time off? Do your boys work well independently? I guess that's not really pregnancy-related, other than planning ahead. =0)

Lana said...

I am only going to guess on question 1 & 2.

I think she will born on April 2nd (at 9:58 pm)

I think her name will be Moriah. (I think you will give her your middle name--Grace)

Lana suggested Benny Hesters Greatest Hits while in Labor--I love this CD!

Lana said...

The above comment is from Amy--I was signed in as Lana--oops!

Unknown said...

I think you should listen to Laura Story and meditate on Is 49:15B-16

Sarah-Anne said...

oh fun post! my answers are 1) april first (how fun would that be?!) 2) her sweet name will be Eve maybe? i have no clue! 3) laura story or david crowder have great calming songs! i know laura's sister personally :) 4) anything that talks about the earthly things passing and heaven being eternal. sometimes i'm afraid that the labor will seem to last forever, so i'd focus on the fact it WON'T and you'll have a sweet babe in your arms afterwards. 5) nope! i love seeing your sweet baby (girl) belly though!

hope your nap was restful indeed!

Heart of Wisdom Academy said...

Baby names I guess: Selah, Hadassah, Genesis. But I really hope not Genesis, b/c that's my next girl's name :-) I think you've named her a Jewish name. Can't wait till the big reveal! I'm praying for a healthy, safe, delivery for you and your precious baby girl.

stephanie:) y said...

I'm thinking...April 6th at 3:32pm. And why don't you name her Sweet Pea? It's more feminine than "Pumpkin" :)

Aliesha Caldwell | Feathers in Our Nest said...

I've been wanting to comment on this post for a while, but haven't had a moment! I would like to answer questions 3 and 4. Songs during labor: I loved listening to Indelible Grace (old hymns set to new tunes) and Sovereign Grace worship music. Both of these were soothing and uplifting while I labored and they brought be so much peace! Verses during labor: I brought cards with Scripture written on them (that I meditated on before birth and had Tad read over me while I labored). Those verses are: Phil. 4:13; Is. 26:3; 2 Sam. 22:33; Ps. 37:3-7; Ps. 18:1-3; Ps. 145:17-21; Ps. 33:16,18,20; Jer. 17:7,8; Ps. 27:13,14; Ps. 31:14,15,19; Prov. 3:5-7; Ps. 147:10,11,14; Is. 40:30-31; Is. 41:10; Ps. 46:1-2; and Ex. 15:2. Praying for you as you draw near to the birth of your sweet baby girl!

Judy said...

Well, I predict that "the girl" will join your family on April 3rd in the morning. Although I do think it would be cool to have another April 1st baby!! My brother was born on my mom's birthday. I guess Esther or Deborah for a name. Strong women who listened to God's voice and lead his people :) Much love to you my friend!!

Stacey said...

I am just getting all caught up on your blog posts. It has been fairly crazy around here. Ok I will only guess on a few of the questions.
1. April 3, 2012 @ 3:30 in the afternoon.
2. Angelea

I still have a package for you not quite finished with everything, but I will be working on it tomorrow. Almost done.

I was able to go to Vegas with my husband for a few days and that really put a wrench in my schedule. However it was awesome being alone with out the kids. It had been 9 years since we had gotten away "alone"!

I hope to send out your package on monday. So you just hold onto that little girl until it gets there.

Davene Grace said...

Just to keep all of these guesses in one place so I can find them after she's born, let me mention here that in the Baby Blessing: Week 36 comments, Lindsay guessed that the baby would be born on April 11 at 5:00 PM.

Jeff's official guess is April 2 at 2:12 AM. He's not eligible for the prize though. :)

And my best guess? April 10 at 10:00 PM. Although I'd love for her to come earlier than that, I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for her to be overdue, like Shav was!

Emily Sacra said...

Hmm... I think your little girl will be born on April 4th, at 2:43pm :) how cool would it be if she was born on April 1 though? ;)

bekahcubed said...

For entirely sentimental reasons, I'm guessing 7:36 pm on Friday, April 6. Sundown on Passover. Wouldn't that just be perfect?

So far as names go, you can't have but one of my favorite set (place names from the Old Testament). I love Bethel, Tirzah, and Shiloh. But, since almost everyone I mention the name Bethel to turns up their nose at it, I'm going to hedge my bets with Leah.

And, since I'm on a Passover kick, how about some Lamb (Baruch ha'shem or The Sacrificed Lamb) for during delivery?

And, of course, my favorite Passover passage would be a great meditation. Exodus 6:6-7 "Say therefore to the people of Israel, 'I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from slavery to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great acts of judgment. I will take you to be my people, and I will be your God, and you shall know that I am the Lord your God, who has brought you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians."

Caroline said...

I'm finally getting around to the guessing game here. I predict baby girl will make her appearance on April 7th at 3:30pm.

As far as a name, I noticed that you said that her name is "word" from the Bible instead of a "name". So my guesses are Eden, Joy, and Patience.

Unknown said...

Putting my date and time guess in!! :)

I'm guessing April 5 at 9:30am!

Can't wait!! :)

Caroline said...

I guessed Joy and I just realized "J" is for Josiah, so I'm changing my guess for Joy to Tabatha. Oh, wait, "T" is for Tobin! OK, my official guesses are Eden and Patience. :-)