Friday, March 23, 2012

Six Babies

But not the human variety.  ;-)

It seems to be turning into a seasonal ritual for Jeff.  Sometime in the spring, he thinks, "Chicks!  We must have more chicks!"  And then he goes and buys some.  He did it last year, as recorded here; and he did it again two days ago.  He's funny:  he never actually tells me in advance that he's going to add to the number of our critters, so it's always a surprise to me.  But after being married for almost 15 years to that man, I've come to really appreciate that aspect of his personality.  He's exactly what I needed to help me become more spontaneous and flexible!  ;-)

On Wednesday of this week, after their monthly breakfast out together, David and Jeff returned home; and David bounded in the front door, excitement oozing from every cell of his body and every vibration of his vocal chords as he announced, "Guess what?  We got CHICKS!"  And then those of us who had stayed at home that morning left what we were previously occupied with and gathered 'round to "ooh!" and "aw!" over the sweet little things.
They ARE sweet.  And they ARE little.  
But I remember from previous years that they don't stay that way for long.
So, while they're still in the such-a-cute-little-fluffball! stage, I'm enjoying every glimpse I get of them...
...but even more, every glimpse I get of my boys enjoying them!
Josiah, of course, remembers having chicks before, so he wasn't apprehensive at all about holding them.
Shav, on the other hand, didn't want to get too close to them; but he's happy watching them from a distance, especially if someone like big brother David is nearby.
David was fearless, and only expressed caution because "they might poop!"
This breed of chicken is different than the other chickens we have; and if I could remember the name, I'd tell you what it is.
Apparently they grow up to be kind of ugly-looking things, but their eggs come in a variety of colors--even green!  That will be a treat for Josiah and David to find in the chicken coop as they gather eggs.  :)
Out of all the boys, the one that I expected to be most interested in the chicks is this darling fellow, my Tobin Bear.
From the time he was very young, Tobin has always had a special love for animals; and I was sure he would be fascinated by these chicks.
Sure enough, he's the one that I find crouched by their box, watching and watching and watching them.  He's the one who most wants to drop handfuls of grain into their feed dish.  He's the one who holds them and studies them and smiles at them.
Such sweetie pies (boys and chicks)!
Goodnight, chicks!  Welcome to your new home!  We're very glad to have you here!  :)

5 comments:

Sally said...

Now you're going to make me wish we had some chicks sometime for our kids to hold and enjoy. But not now!

I have noted repeatedly one of your tricks for reducing the laundry load--have your kids wear less clothes! Hmmmm...since I only have one boy, I'm not sure letting him "go tummy" in the summer would make that much difference.

Davene Grace said...

Sally - your kids can come hold our chicks! :)

Your comment made me laugh about reducing the laundry load. :) I don't intentionally have bare-chested boys running around, but they seem to get hot and the next thing I know, they've stripped off their shirts and are running around half-naked! :) Both Josiah and David have gotten in the habit of often sleeping without a shirt. I do, however, make sure they have shirts on before we go anywhere. ;-) And I also make sure that if, for example, the Old Order neighbor girls come over to play, all chests are covered before my boys go outside! :)

Unknown said...

They look like they are in chick heaven. It must be fun to watch them watch the chicks.

Anonymous said...

Ariconas (spelling is probably off).

Davene Grace said...

Yes, thank you! I did a quick Google search and discovered that the correct spelling is Araucana. But further research tells me that the ones we have just might be Ameraucana or Easter Egger chickens. I guess we'll be able to tell better when they get older and we can see if they're developing tufts and tails, etc. Thanks again! :)