Saturday, March 10, 2012

We're Back!

But I never even told you we were gone.  Well, we were.  And I'll tell you about it now.  :)

Before the baby is born, we wanted to do one last family-of-six get-away, so one of Jeff's customers got us a super deal again at Massanutten Resort, and we spent the last few days there.  (Pictures of last year's Massanutten get-away are here.)  It was a wonderful, welcome break from the rhythm of daily life, with its stresses and pressures; and I'm so grateful for the chance to relax and make memories with our boys, before the earthquake of a new baby hits this family!  :)

One of the boys' favorite activities when we stay in a hotel (or in this case, a condo) is watching TV.  Our poor TV-deprived kids!  ;-)  Not too much time goes by with the TV on before Jeff and I look at each other and say, "We are SO GLAD we don't have a TV!"  ;-)

Shav relaxing on the deck...

...and enjoying an apple snack with Tobin.

Boys in sleepers in morning light = precious!

These three mallards were often spotted near our condo; I love their rich colors!

One day as I prepared a meal (we took our own food for some meals, and saved money that way), Jeff and the boys played a game...
 ...of Trouble.
 Intense concentration helps.  ;-)

The highlight, just like last year, was the day we got to go to the indoor waterpark.  I didn't take my camera along, but I'll use words to record my two big impressions from that day.  First, it was so eye-opening and rewarding to see how much each of the boys had developed since the previous year.  For example, last year Tobin was content to stay in the little kids' area; but this year, he was a wild man, willing to climb up through the "castle" in the center of the waterpark, getting water sprayed in his face and all over his head and body, going down slides that were actually pretty fast.  He wasn't tall enough to go on the really big slides, but he had changed A LOT from last year, and I was thrilled to see his comfort level with the water and his adventurous spirit.  :)  Josiah and David are pros when it comes to water being sprayed everywhere--and liking it.  But this was the first year that we let them go off by themselves (well, together with each other) for some things: the biggest waterslides, for example.  The fact that we went to the waterpark on a Thursday during the school year meant that it wasn't very crowded, so that made it easier to give them some freedom.  Also, the fact that there are lifeguards covering nearly every square inch of that place helped reassure us.  But it was so funny--so different--to see Josiah and David head off in one direction, Jeff and Tobin in another, and Shav and I in a third!  Just a taste of what is ahead as our family grows up, I'm sure!  :)

Second, one of the sweetest parts of the whole trip happened Thursday evening when we had returned to the waterpark to take full advantage of our time there.  We had gone earlier in the day, then gone back to our condo to eat, then went back to the waterpark until it closed at 8:00 PM.  I knew Shav was tired because he hadn't gotten a nap that day; but still, I was a little surprised when he fell asleep in my arms as I sat in one of the pools.  The water was gently rocking us both, and he simply laid his little head down on my shoulder and drifted off to sleep, as peaceful as anything.  I stayed in the pool a little longer with him, then got out and went over to a row of chairs to sit and hold him longer.  He slept for about two hours like that!  I can't even remember the last time he slept in my arms, and knowing that soon a new little one will take that place in my arms made me especially sentimental and appreciative of that time with Shav.

On Friday, after we left the resort, we drove east and went up on the Skyline Drive, something we haven't done for a while but which I always enjoy.  It was nice to take our time driving along, not in a rush to get home, but enjoying the numerous lookout spots and scenic views.
Jeff took pictures of the view with his cell phone...
...and I took pictures of him (and the view) with my camera.  ;-)
 All the other times we've been up there have been during warm weather when the trees are loaded with leaves and there is green, green, green everywhere.  It was very different to drive along and see all of these trees that were bare.  Of course, we knew they weren't dead, but looking out over the landscape and only occasionally seeing an evergreen tree in the midst of all the leafless branches made for a very unique kind of scenery and feel to the surroundings.

Besides the views out over the trees into the valley below, I also enjoyed looking at...
 ...the road...and the low stone wall that runs along it at times.
 Thrilling, I know.  ;-)
 But it's such a nice road as it winds its way through the trees!  :)

We were keeping our eyes peeled for deer, and finally we spotted one.
With no hunting allowed there, the deer don't even run when cars approach...
 ...so we were able to get fairly close to some.
 I'm not opposed to eating venison...
 ...in fact, we had some ground venison in our chili tonight...
 ...but when I see deer like this, I think they are so beautiful!  :)

As we continued on our way, Jeff pulled off at yet another scenic overlook so that he could take some pictures of me (a little disheveled by the wind, but oh well...).
 I'm usually the one pulling out the camera and recruiting someone to take my picture during pregnancy...
 ...so I felt loved when he, of his own initiative, took these, saying something about "aren't you 36 weeks now? don't you need some for your upcoming post?"  I don't have a week 36 post ready yet, but I'll go ahead and share these here in this record of our trip.  ;-)

Shortly before we left Skyline Drive, we got to go through this tunnel...

 ...which wasn't very long...
 ...and we immediately saw the light at the end of it, even before we entered it.
I couldn't help but think of this pregnancy and my upcoming labor and delivery.  Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  ;-)

For times' sake, I'm abbreviating this account of our get-away; but for tonight, it is enough.  Whenever we return from a trip like this, I have the same thought:

It's so good to go, and so good to come home again!!  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip and what a wonderful time you all had together!

Sally said...

You all are so wise to plan and schedule and TAKE time to relax and do fun things as a family. I'm so glad you got to take this little vacation. It looks and sounds so relaxing. Of course, nearly all your posts look and sound so relaxing! I think you do a good job of creating a relaxing atmosphere for your family, at home and on vacations. (Do you have a book of tips? I need it!)

Thanks so much for sharing. I hope your new week goes wonderfully well.