Sunday, April 6, 2014

One Proud Mama

"I hope I don't cry" were some of the words spoken in our minivan this afternoon as I drove Josiah and David to the Spring Concert of the Shenandoah Valley Children's Choir.

For those of you who know me, you won't be much surprised when I say that probably in every single concert of the SVCC that I've attended when my boys were participants, I've had to furtively wipe my eyes a time or two and swallow hard to try to get rid of the lump in my throat.  So you might assume that I was the one who spoke the "I hope I don't cry" sentence as we were rolling along in the beautiful, sun-washed countryside.

But you'd be wrong.

It was Josiah.

Josiah, my firstborn.  My son who loves to imagine himself a fierce warrior--a knight winning honor for his lord, or a samurai protecting his master at the cost of his own life, or something like that (and if he lived in those times and places, I have no doubt he would serve loyally in such capacities).  My son who thinks mathematically and is much quicker to do mental arithmetic than I am.  My son who loves to build with LEGO sets and other blocks.  My son who goes a little crazy when cooped up inside for too long without a break to play outside in the fresh air.  

He is also my son with a tender heart that I adore.

Today his heart was moved because it was the last full concert of the SVCC with Dr. V. as the director.  She's the one who came in two years ago when the founder of the SVCC stepped down, the one who rocked Josiah's musical world because she did things differently than her predecessor, the one who restored hope to Josiah for the future of his own involvement in music, as well as the future of the SVCC.  At some point between Josiah's first reaction of "oh wow, she's not like Ms. White" til now, Dr. V. won his heart.  Completely.

Hence, the tears--Josiah's tears--which started flowing even while he was singing on stage.  If you think I could sit there and watch my beloved son struggle so bravely to keep a smile on his face and sing through his tears without me joining in, well, you'd be very wrong.  It's a good thing I'd taken some tissues along.  (And the lady in front of me even turned around and handed me some more!)  ;-)

After the concert (which was magnificent, by the way, but I wouldn't expect anything less!), I thought I'd gotten myself fairly well under control; but then when Josiah found me and I saw that he was still crying, of course I lost it again.  For me, tears are like yawns.  All I have to do is see them on someone else's face to start them rolling down my own.  :)

David, meanwhile, was much more stoic than his older brother and I.  On the way home, he informed us that he hadn't shed a single tear the whole concert (lots of choristers did, by the way--not just Josiah), except for when he got something in his eye and it hurt.  He didn't seem to understand what the big deal was.  :)

The only consolation for our sadness--and this is a huge one--is that the new director for the fall, Mrs. Hostetter, seems to be wonderful; and the boys are really eager to sing under her direction.  Of all the candidates we saw for that position, she definitely was my top pick, and we're very excited about the future!

Right before we three left for the concert (Jeff sacrificially stayed home with the younger ones, which wasn't our original plan at all; but when Shav was sick this morning--and Tobin not too perky either--he volunteered to stay at home with them, an offer I very gratefully accepted), we snapped a quick picture.  It's not too hard to spot the joy and pride I was feeling, is it?  ;-)
 When we got to the concert location, I stayed in the car and enjoyed some quiet time to read while the boys went inside to warm up and so forth.  After they got out of the car, my eyes followed them as they ran inside; and you know, that time was an unexpected pleasure.  To see so many cars pull up and plaid-vested choristers pile out, almost always hurrying with an excited air into the building, was really rather fun.  I think I'll do that again sometime.  :)




 After the concert, the boys wanted pictures with the directors.  As you'll see, some of these didn't turn out very well; but there were so many people who wanted to talk to them, that we really only had a quick moment to snap a picture, and I didn't get a chance to see how they looked and take another one when the first wasn't the greatest.  Regardless, here are the boys with their beloved teachers.

David and Mrs. Anderson, who directs the Prep Choir that he's currently in (and she's the one who teaches the Explorers classes that both Josiah and David have benefited greatly from, and hopefully Tobin will get to do so in the fall, too).  :)
 Josiah and David with Maurita, accompanist extraordinaire.  :)
 The soon-to-be-missed Dr. V.
 And the new director, Mrs. Hostetter!
Whew.  I feel emotions rolling back over me, just from seeing these pictures!  ;-)

Like I always say, I am SO grateful for the SVCC, SO glad that my boys have the opportunity to participate, SO thrilled that they love it as much as I do, and SO very proud of them.

Tomorrow I'm thinking I might have a mending job to do, because surely, with all the pride I was feeling, I must have busted at least one of the buttons off that blue blouse I was wearing.  ;-)

No comments: