Friday, April 4, 2014

A Beautiful Branch of Our Family Tree

In years to come, when I think back to my 38th birthday, I'm guessing that the one thing about it that will stand out in my mind is that my aunt and uncle from Canada and my cousin from Alaska were here.  That, all by itself, was such a special gift.

It's not that we did anything really out of the ordinary.  We just lived life together for a couple of days, and it was wonderful.  :)

Aunt Joyce went along to Josiah and David's violin lessons, and also got to see part of the rehearsal of the Shenandoah Valley Children's Choir.  Both of those activities were especially interesting to her because she has a degree in music and regularly uses her musical abilities to bless those around her (including teaching violin to one of her granddaughters). 

Josiah taught Mark how to play Khet (and then Mark almost beat him).  :)
Mother and Aunt Joyce helped me with dishes after every meal.

Uncle Jay held Moriah.  (By the way, do you remember me saying Moriah was choosy when it came to who gets to hold her?  Well, she made her choice clear.  Uncle Jay and Mark both made the cut and got to enjoy LOTS of cuddle time with Moriah during this visit.)  :)

My dad treated us to lunch out on my birthday...

...and my sister came during her lunch break from work to join us.  :)

The weather turned warm and sunny just in time for my birthday...
 ...and after a long winter of idleness, our swings were once again the setting for happy shrieks and laughter.

 My mother and her sister enjoyed this swing...
 ...while watching David on the trampoline.


 First-Cousin-Once-Removed-Mark (as David started calling him) and the boys playfully wrestled with teddy bears, much to the delight of my boys who seem to have a distinct and irrepressible wrestling gene in their DNA.  :)
 We ate simple meals together.


 Uncle Jay watched Moriah on the trampoline.


More swinging...

 On his day off, Jeff got busy in the garden; and now we have peas, onions, potatoes, beans (and a few other things?) planted, thanks to his labors.  :)
 When Thursday morning came, we knew we had to say goodbye, and it was sad.

 With living so far away from each other, our visits are few and far between...
 ...and I'm sure most of us were wondering what changes might occur between now and when we see each other again.
 It's beautiful to see the bond of love between Mother and Aunt Joyce.
 I'm full of gratitude for both of them.
One last picture of a bunch of silly kids with their new buddy Mark, and then they were off...
...on their way to visit other friends and family members as they made the long trek back to British Columbia, and then, in Mark's case, on to Alaska.

Yes, without a doubt, spending time with these loved ones was the best part of turning 38.  :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great way to celebrate your birthday!! Glad you had so many smiles on your day!

Anonymous said...


Thanks for the pictures. Good to see Aunt Joyce and Uncle Jay again. Looks like you had a fun time.

Aunt Helen

Betty (Coy) Kimble said...

Thank you for all the wonderful photos!! Such a warm and precious time together!!! I'm so glad that your mother and Joyce got to have some 'sisterly love' time together, too!

Emily said...

BC is the best province! You really should come visit sometime! :) Time with family is always so sweet.

Heart of Wisdom Academy said...

Happy birthday my friend!!