Saturday, September 10, 2011

If I'm Not a Hunter or a Gatherer, What Am I?

Remember the old dichotomy of roles that we learned about in school when studying primitive cultures?  Men were typically the hunters, and women were the gatherers, right?  (Or something like that...we haven't gotten that far in The Story of the World yet.)  ;-)

I've come to the unmistakable conclusion that I am...

...neither.

I certainly don't hunt; and despite the abundance of fresh, delicious, healthy food growing right outside my door, I've done very little gathering this summer.  Oh, an occasional handful of basil from the garden for caprese salad, but that's about it.

But despite my lack of accomplishments in those areas, I have discovered another role that I fill:  A Preparer. Somebody's got to stay home and tend to the stove, don't you think?  ;-)

This summer I've used home-grown potatoes in soups and casseroles and other meals...but Jeff is the one who dug them.  I've cut up countless tomatoes for salads and sandwiches, etc...but Dad is the one who picked them.  I've diced bell peppers and put them in freezer containers to save for winter...but Jeff or Dad has plucked them from the plant and brought them inside.  I've canned numerous quarts of peaches and diced fresh ones for meals...but Dad and Mom have gone to the orchard to buy them.  And now with the grapes, our latest canning project, my dear ol' Dad has been the one to do almost all of the picking.  He lugs them into the house by the bucketful, and I supervise the troops as we turn them into tasty juice, filling tall glass jars with the sweetness and cellar shelves with the jars.
This summer, I'm so glad to be part of a team.  :)

1 comment:

Sally said...

I like that. I believe I'm becoming more and more of a preparer too. Out of necessity, mainly. That's all I have time for! I'm sure it's the same with you. I say hats off to you for canning grape juice. I'd love to do that this fall, but I just don't see myself having the time yet. Maybe I'll think about it again later in the month.