Thursday, September 15, 2011

Baby Blessing: Week 10


Nearly every single day, I hear a certain comment from the lips of my oldest sons.  "You really look pregnick, Mom," Josiah and David often say.  I guess they're right.  ;-)


I was looking through one of the posts I started months ago, probably way back in early spring.  I never finished or published it, so it's just been sitting around in my drafts folder.  But I had to smile when I read these words:

Jeff took all the boys to town this morning to run errands, leaving me home alone to clean and organize Shav's room in much-appreciated peace.  I was working merrily, listening to a random mix of music on my laptop.  The song "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman" by Bryan Adams came on (which includes the line, "When you can see your unborn children in her eyes, you know you really love a woman").  I pulled a storage box, labeled "12 Months," out of Shav's closet.  When I opened it, I saw that there was nothing in it except for one summer onesie, outgrown by Shav at the end of last summer and put away by me when I did the last sorting-of-the-clothes.  With no warning, a huge sob started deep inside me and worked its way upwards, coming out at last from my mouth and my eyes.  Where did that come from??  I'm happy!  I'm organizing!  I'm always happy when I'm organizing!  :)

I've never claimed to be an unemotional woman, but that one surprised even me.

The seasonal sorting-of-the-clothes is always accompanied by a tinge of emotion for me; but in that case, I'd say it was obvious that I was secretly longing for another little baby to fill my arms and wear the cherished hand-me-downs that I'd been hanging onto - "just in case."   :)

Here I am now - 10 weeks, 5 days into this pregnancy - and even though my body is growing and showing ample evidence of the new life within me, sometimes I still am filled with disbelief.  "Am I really pregnant?  Am I really this blessed?  Have I really been so honored to have been given the gift of another life inside me?"  I'm not over the awe and mystery of it yet!  I wonder if early April will find me waddling into the hospital, about to give birth, and still feeling like I need to pinch myself to make sure it's all real.  ;-)

A few days ago, I was having fun reading through my posts from my pregnancy with Shav; and I came across this lovely video again.

I never have been able to figure out how anyone can learn about or, even more, experience the development of a baby in the womb and not believe in God.  To me, it's plain to see that...

...it's a miracle - every single time.

5 comments:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

I can never, ever see that without becoming teary. I think there are two reasons: the absolute wonder of it all and the beauty of this miracle, which I've been blessed with four times; and because of the horror of the thought of how many of these precious unborn children are torn from their mother's womb ... I can hardly write it :(

But this was a happy post. And these are happy thoughts that you have, praise God.

Fearfully and wonderfully made, indeed :)
Anne x

Unknown said...

We watched the video of JDaniel over and over again. It is amazing God has such a little being growing inside its mom.

Sarah-Anne said...

amazing. our God is amazing.
and, like always, i love seeing your little preggo belly :)

Valerie B said...

You look SO pretty, Davene----an ELEGANT, blooming pregant woman!!
SO thrilled for you in this new life! Cant' wait to descover who he (or she?) will be!! This baby is so blessed to be born into your family!!
Have a great weekend enjoying your treasures (all five of them)!

Heart of Wisdom Academy said...

You are so right, it really is a miracle every single time!