Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Not the Greatest Idea

As it turns out, it probably wasn't the greatest idea for me to stay up until 3:00 a.m. last night (errr, this morning) finishing a book I was reading (although in my defense, it was One Second After, and how is it possible to put THAT one down when you're getting close to the end, I'd like to know!).  I didn't realize at the time that my body was flirting with a bout of mastitis; if I had known, maybe that would have given me the fortitude to detach my hands from the book, save some pages for another day, and close my eyes long before 3:00 in the morning.  But I didn't know, and I did stay up too late, and boy, did I drag through this day!

********

As it turns out, it probably wasn't the greatest idea for Tobin to take his last trip up and down the driveway on his bike this evening--the trip in which he somehow lost his balance and fell while in the process of turning.  Thankfully, he was wearing his helmet and so his head was protected; but he ended up with a significant scrape on his left cheek, and one on his chin, and another on his left elbow, and also on his right knee.  He also complained of his mouth and lips hurting, and I realize now that it's a very good thing that his top front teeth that fell out half-of-forever ago haven't yet been replaced with his adult teeth, because if they had, I wouldn't be surprised if he would have had some damage to them.  Fortunately, I don't think his injuries are too serious--painful, yes, but that will heal.

********

Tonight I go to bed early, with a prayer on my lips of thanksgiving for God's hand of healing and protection.  I think that's a pretty great idea.  :)

2 comments:

sally said...

Oh no! I'm sure this was quite a day for you. I've done those things, but somehow I eventually repeat the "not a good idea" thing again. I hope you sleep well tonight (and all the kids do too!) and that tomorrow is better.

Emily said...

Ugh. Mastitis is the worst! I will be praying for you. We had a rough Monday as well. Rob and Madeline got rear-ended - no one was hurt just a little shaken up in both cars thankfully. We had a couple other unexpected and unwanted surprises as well. I used the wise Anne Shirley's words "Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it" to remind myself that we get a fresh start every day. I also hugged my family a little tighter and thanked God for safety and protection.