Thursday, October 30, 2014

Tobin and the Trumpet

Ever since Tobin saw his grandpa playing the trumpet recently, he's been a little bit obsessed with it.  Numerous times a day, he asks me, "Can I go down to Grandpa's house and play his trumpet?"  Usually I say yes, and off he runs, eager to get his lips on that piece of brass again.

During my musical career, I have played the piano, violin, organ, percussion (briefly), handbells, and have sung in choirs; and the closest I came to a wind instrument was being part of a recorder consort for a short time during college.  But I have never played a brass instrument, so this is all new territory for me.  However, Tobin is finding that his grandpa is a patient teacher (note: Tobin isn't getting official lessons yet--I think trumpet lessons usually aren't given to six-year-olds--but he's having fun learning a little bit about the instrument and how to make music with it).

Tobin is having so much fun with this that he confessed to me yesterday that, instead of saving up his money for a saddle and horse (because he wants to be a cowboy), he's going to save his money so he can buy a trumpet.

"Tobin, my dear," I told him, "if you really want to play the trumpet, I am SURE your grandpa will let you use his."

A big grin spread over Tobin's face.

It probably wasn't as big, however, as the grin that would be etched on my dad's face if one of his grandsons followed in his footsteps and became a trumpet player!!  :)


 After Tobin, David wanted a turn.
 How many times have I been thoroughly amused by David's facial expressions during his nine years of life?  Well, whatever that number is, add one more to it, because the photo below absolutely cracks me up!  ;-)
 And then, not to be outdone, Shav wanted a turn, too.
And then the trumpet was passed back to Tobin. 
It's too early to speculate, but I wonder...  What does the future hold for him, in regards to this trumpet?

1 comment:

Aunt Helen said...

Cool! Good idea.