Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I Shall Be Random, Vol. 5

~ 1 ~
A dozen times a day, I find myself repeating a phrase that's been helpful during these toasty summer weeks: "It's OK to be hot."  You see, I've been somewhat stubbornly refusing to turn on our air conditioning.  After all, if Laura Ingalls Wilder never had air conditioning...and if our Old Order Mennonite neighbors don't have it...and if I can save a few pennies by not using it, then why turn it on?  :)

As a result, it gets pretty warm in our house some days--for example, 85 degrees today.  The children don't seem to mind at all; and if you've been reading the blog for long, you've probably already noticed that, when we're at home, my boys rarely have shirts on!  ;-)  Jeff doesn't complain either; in fact, he told me this evening that the air conditioner at work keeps the shop so chilly that it actually feels good to come into our warm house at the end of the day.  :)  I sweat buckets each day; but so far, no one has shown up at the dinner table with a clothespin on their nose, so I'm guessing it's not bothering anyone too much.  ;-)  And there's one good thing about being hot all day long: taking a cool shower and putting on clean pajamas at the end of the day feels like an exquisite luxury!  :)

With all that said, I will admit that many times every day, I think, "Should I break down and use the air conditioning?"  Then I answer myself, "No.  After all...

...it's OK to be hot!!"  :)


~ 2 ~
At what age is a child normally expected to sit still while having their hair done?  Moriah's hair is getting long enough to fall down in her eyes; and even though Jeff has trimmed her bangs twice, I actually don't want him to cut them anymore.  (For now, at least.)  So I try to put a little clip in her hair to keep the bangs out of her face, but it's a little like trying to play Pin the Tail on the Donkey...with a real live donkey!!  ;-)

Speaking of hair, I confess to feeling intimidated by the thought of having to do a girl's hair!  With our boys, it's always been so easy for me because Jeff regularly gives them haircuts and keeps their hair short enough that they don't even need to comb it.  :)  But now that we have a daughter, I feel this big ball of PRESSURE on my shoulders.  I have to do her hair!  And then teach her how to do it when she's older!  Yikes!!!  :)

Because of this insecurity, I often cast surreptitious glances at the the hair of my friends' daughters when we're together to see how they do their hair.  And sometimes I even ask them outright--like I did a few days ago with a kind friend:  "Sally, how do you put that clip in Marie's hair anyway??"  :)

I am OVERWHELMINGLY grateful to have a daughter, but... *sigh* ...I sure hope I can figure this hair stuff out.  ;-)


~ 3 ~
I don't know if it's optimism or stupidity, but something compels me to keep putting dirty dishes in my dishwasher...even though I NEVER get a load that comes out perfectly clean!  The plates do really well, and the silverware is usually pretty good.  I never put glasses in because they're like a dirt magnet and come out dirtier than when I put them in, but I do put plastic cups in.  I've learned though that before I put them away in the cupboard after they're "washed," I should always examine them--with my eyes AND with my nose--to see if they've gotten cleaned.  Sometimes they have.  Sometimes they haven't.

I really feel like an idiot sometimes because first of all, I think maybe I should just give up trying to use the dishwasher for more than just plates and silverware.  But secondly, I think that if I could figure out what the secret is, I could have better results.  It all seems so random to me; but still I ask myself, for example, "WHY, in a particular load, did the cups in the left row all stay dirty, but yesterday there were only a couple of dirty ones on the right?"  There MUST be a reason; and if I were smart enough, I could figure it out!  Rather than figuring it out, however, I'm left standing at the side of my opened dishwasher, lifting cups one by one and smelling them, putting some that passed the Clean Test in the cupboard and setting the rest on the counter to be hand washed.  And all the time I'm thinking, "I'm either really dumb...or unfailingly optimistic!"

Foolishness?  Or hope?  I'm really not sure which it is.  :)


~ 4 ~
Whenever I see Old Order Mennonites in a grocery store or other public place, I always attempt to be on my best behavior, smiling at them and being extra friendly--not just because I like to smile and be friendly to people, but also because I'm half-afraid they'll be someone who knows me and expects me to know them, too!  They might come up to me and say, "Hi, Davene!  We sure enjoyed watching your boys play ball with the Shank girls the other night when we went past.  And my, how big Moriah is getting!"   Or "Wilma said you wanted my recipe for chocolate-zucchini cupcakes; I'm tickled that you liked them!"  And I'll be standing there thinking, "Oh my dear, I have no idea who you are.  I know this probably sounds crazy to you; but in your bonnets and cape dresses, you all look alike to me!!!"  :)

So, I just smile at all of them, because I would hate to ignore someone whom I should have recognized!  :)


~ 5 ~
I heard this song for the first time tonight.  I like it a whole bunch.  :)


~ 6 ~
After we watched the movie How to Train Your Dragon some months ago, the boys went through a phase of being kind of obsessed with it.  Among other things, they indulged their obsession by creating these dragons (not from any kind of LEGO kit, but just from a random assortment of LEGO pieces that we have).  This is Toothless, the main dragon in the movie.
 My favorite part of it is the red flap on the back which, if you've seen the movie, you'll recognize as being a very important part of Toothless.  :)
And this is a blue dragon whose name I've forgotten...

 ...and a red dragon, with an equally unremembered name.
 Josiah and David could tell you their names though.  :)
Once upon a time, I used to worry that my kids wouldn't have much of an imagination.

I've officially retired that worry.  :)


~ 7 ~
This morning I was doing laundry when Tobin wandered into the laundry room, at loose ends because he didn't really know what to do with himself.  I glanced at his laundry bin, saw that there were four items in it (a small enough amount that it wouldn't be overwhelming to him), then asked him to please take it up to his room and put his clothes away.  Josiah and David routinely empty their own laundry bins, but this is a new task for Tobin so I answered his questions about where each item of clothing went and sent him on his way.  A couple of minutes later, I heard him giggling as he came back down the steps.  When he walked into the laundry room, he had--sure enough--emptied his bin like he was supposed to (and later when I was in his room, I noticed that he had indeed put everything in the right spot), but his bin wasn't empty.  He had put a big teddy bear, the biggest one we own, into the bin and had carried that back down to me.  It was so silly, and he thought it was so funny, so I grabbed the bear and acted goofy, too; and Tobin laughed even more.  I smile even now, just thinking about his giggle as he waited for me to discover what he had done.  :)

It made me think of an article I once read about how babies develop humor, and one of the first areas is in using normal things in unconventional ways.  For example, a child might put a sock on his head and pretend it's a hat, or he might give his cup to his mom for her to have a drink from a sippy cup, and those things would be funny because they're not normal and expected.

Which is kind of what Tobin did when he carried a bear down in his laundry bin.  :)


~ 8 ~
Perhaps the sweetest moment of the day came this evening right before Tobin and Shav got in bed.  They always get to listen to a CD as they fall asleep, and tonight I picked the Michael Card CD that has Shav's lullaby on it and started it at that song.  For some reason, I felt like dancing to it--maybe it was the 6/8 time signature ;-)--so I kicked up my heels and began.  That drew Shav and Tobin like a magnet, of course, and we all joined hands and twirled around.  Every so often, I would pull one of them around in such a way that he would fall, laughing, on the bed.  By the end, we were breathless; but I'm not sure if it was more from exertion or laughter.

The hugs they gave me as we said goodnight were extra tender.  You know, I should probably dance with them more often!  :)


Previous "I Shall Be Random" posts:  1...2...3...4.

5 comments:

Julie said...

If you are glancing at hair, please do so with Kt and Shan. How do I do it with the littles? Ummm. Torture? Every so often I wrestle the dreds from Mairi's curls with copious conditioner and detangler. Sometimes they let me make "puppy ears" or a braid. Not for the faint of heart. I remember sitting Kt down in front of Fox and the Hound and having one chance to french braid her 3 yr old hair. An aside...Shani can do ANYTHING to their hair and they LOVE it.

Unknown said...

I am so glad I don't have to deal with fixing hair in the morning. I wouldn't know where to start.

Amanda said...

I discovered something amazing...youtube...I had to tie Micah's tie a different way than Ben ties his because Micah uses adult ties now and they need to be shorter because he's not quite 'adult' height. I went on youtube and typed in 'double Windsor tying' and low and behold there I discovered a video of 'how to' to tie ties! I'm SURE there are videos out there of how to do hair! :)

sally said...

Hahaha! The hair bit! Well, I guess there are lots of benefits to having 6 younger sisters, and fixing little girls' hair is one of them. One main thing is to just do it like you would do your own, only on someone else's head. At first, you get to decide how to fix their hair. Then, later, they start getting opinionated and picky and want it a certain way. That gets a bit trickier sometimes.

I am so sorry about your dishwasher! What a frustration! I think the problem might be the outlet is clogged with bits of food and unrecognizable matter. That happened to my sister Miriam's dishwasher, and the problem was solved by simply taking the screen and stuff out of the bottom and cleaning it off and getting all the junk out. I did that to mine not too long ago, and it really improved my clean dishes, even though it wasn't too bad before I cleaned it out. The bottom drain area of my dishwasher comes apart very easily, like it was meant to be taken apart and cleaned periodically. I'd say if Jeff can take out a toilet to get a toy train out of it, taking the drain screens out of the bottom of the dishwasher should be a piece of cake for him! I hope you can find a solution soon!

Rachel said...

If you don't have a water softener the hard water in this area really messes up the cleaning ability of dishwashers (and shortens their life). Running a gal. of white vinegar through once a month really helps. You can also through in a cup of white vinegar with each load once to do an initial treatment. This helps keep the lime from building up and clogging stuff up.