Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Couldn't Do It Without Them!

As anyone who grows and preserves a significant portion of their own food knows, harvest time is B-U-S-Y.  

Anyone in that situation also knows well the wisdom of this old saying: Many hands make light work.  Tis true!  :)

This year, as we begin to harvest and store up food, I am especially grateful for the many hands that lighten these tasks.  How blessed I am that not only do my children help me, but also my parents!  We're a good team, all of us together.  :)
Last week, we stopped by our local fruit market and got four gallons of sour cherries.  Getting them ready for the freezer was not difficult work, but time-consuming?  Oh, yes!  (And sticky, too.)  ;-)
Before that was the pea harvest; and although I LOVE shelling peas, I was completely thankful that I didn't have to do them all by myself.  :)
Tobin was the child who most often got involved in the pea-shelling, and he did a good job with it.  David, on the other hand, confessed that he doesn't like shelling peas because it's so discouraging to open a pea pod and maybe find only two peas in it--peas that he could eat in a single gulp.  All that time and work for (in his opinion) such little return!  :)  Ah, but when you combine all the peas from all the pods, that turns into a freezer shelf full of tidy stacks of pint containers brimming with peas.  :)

The picture above, by the way, was taken by Tobin and is SOOC (straight out of camera, for those who aren't familiar with that expression...no editing done on it at all).  :)



Even more than the obvious benefit of having more people working so the task can be finished sooner, the bigger advantage of the "many hands" principle is this: the treasure of time spent together, talking and laughing, as the group works towards a common goal.  We're being productive...we're making memories...and we're doing it--TOGETHER!  :)

5 comments:

sally said...

I so love this! Maybe some year I'll plant peas again, and maybe some year I'll buy cherries again. By the way, I have a really handy cherry pitter if you ever want to borrow it!

Unknown said...

I bet there are great conversations that go on while they work.

Amanda said...

Time and again I read your blog and am sad that we can't have our own vegetables growing in our yard. Being in the woods is an awesome place to be but unfortunately the deer and rabbits think so too and unless you have the money or space to put up a fence 8 feet tall your garden will always run the risk of predation. So, I watch you and I find myself craving fresh peas in the winter. It looks like you are having so much fun. XO

Emily said...

One day I would love to have space to have a real garden (we just have a few pots right now) and have the space also to store the harvest. Until then I will just look at yours wishfully!

Anonymous said...

I have such fond memories of shucking corn with my grandparents. I know you guys are making great ones too!