Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Big Beyond

Beyond.

My theme for 2013.  As I said in that post, I don't write much about my Beyond activities because I don't want to call attention to my acts of service.  But despite my blog silence concerning it, I have been finding little ways here and there to reach out, past my circle, outside of my comfort zone, and make a difference for others.

But I'm eager to do more than just reach out in little ways.  Back in December, I mentioned that one of my goals for the new year was to "Do at least one major beyond-myself outreach."  I toyed with several ideas for how to do that, but one that kept coming back to my mind was this...



I've known about the Fresh Air Fund for a long time (can you believe that this organization has been around since 1877???  that's only 12 years after the Civil War ended!) and have watched as several families we know here in our area have hosted children.  My heart has been tugged by their example; and, after much contemplation, Jeff and I decided to get involved and host a child this year--which for some people might not be such a huge step beyond, but for us it really is.

Tonight we met with Kathy, one of the local volunteer leaders, to get the ball rolling; and now I am SO EXCITED!

And a little nervous, too.  ;-)

But mostly thrilled at the opportunity to, if only for a week, enlarge our family circle and draw in another child.  I pray that this time together will bless that child in ways that only God could design, but I also realize that the child will bring blessings into our family and will be used by God to teach us and help us to grow in Him.

When we pause to care for a starfish, we find ourselves cared for as well.

6 comments:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Davene, that sounds like a wonderful idea. I do hope you are truly blessed as a family through this, and that the child who comes with you will be blessed in mind, body and soul.

Very precious.

Unknown said...

I have heard of this project. I think the child selected to stay with your family will be greatly blessed.

Sally said...

Wow! I think that is a huge step! I know you will have a great time, and that the child will be blessed beyond measure to be in your home. God bless you!

Misty said...

That is awesome. We know a family that has done this for many years and always say what a blessing it is to them. I have considered it but never committed! Can't wait to hear about your experience!

Valerie said...

My Aunt and Uncle hosted a young lady many years ago. They loved her to pieces, and hosted her every year until she was too old for the program... and then she came on her own to visit.
Excited for you as you go BEYOND :) God is good! :)

Valerie said...

Hi Davene--
So excited for you in hosting a fresh air child...we did so twice (girls slightly younger than our oldest) while living in your area and it was a good experience. We still talk about it. We have also hosted young men (while living in our current city) from Spain and from France...and Phillip's roommate at school (who is a pianist from Malaysia) has spent all of his breaks for two years with us. We are grateful to God for giving us these experiences to allow us and our children to see the world through the eyes of someone from a different culture.