Thursday, June 20, 2013

When I'm Feeling Uninspired about Lunch

Every once in a while, I get mildly creative and do something out-of-the-ordinary for the boys' lunches; but most of the time, my creative energy--not to mention time--is spent on other efforts.  As a result, most days find me making plain, simple lunches (and marveling at Deirdre who has a GIFT for making spectacular, extraordinary lunches for her son!).  For those days when I'm running short on time and haven't had any bursts of inspiration for how to fancify our lunch, burritos have become a faithful standby.  They're quick, easy, fairly nutritious, inexpensive, and--best of all--my boys love them!  :)

This is my couldn't-be-easier version of burritos (with apologies to all of those authentic Mexican cooks out there who are cringing as they read this)...  ;-)

All it takes is flour tortillas, cheese, and refried beans.
I like to be generous with the beans--and especially with the cheese!
The only downside to my generosity is that it makes it a little hard to wrap up and keep it all inside the tortilla.  :)
Fold it over...
...roll it up...
...then microwave for about 45 seconds.
And there you have it!  Such a simple meal!  When Jeff or I make burritos for the family, we add other ingredients and make it a little more complex; but for normal lunches, this way works great for me.  :)
The best part?  Happy boys with full tummies.  :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks a really easy and perfect lunch! I love finding nice quick easy meals that are delicious!

The Coderlambian said...

This is an incredibly common lunch at our house! We LOVE it!

Heart of Wisdom Academy said...

Hi Davene, it was great seeing you at the convention this year! I had a dream about you last night and you were expecting :-) So I guess I'll be the least surprised if any announcements come our way this year!

Julie said...

Thanks, Friend! This is EXACTLY what I needed today. I am NOT kidding. I love how God does that. Thanks for posting.

Elizabeth said...

Mmmmmm! This is something we have been doing lately as well. But I haven't been using the re-fried beans! I can't wait to try that! And oh how I relate on finding something to make for lunch! Its been tough for me this week :)

So nice to be on your blog Davene. I am still planning a visit out to your neck of the woods one day ;) I can't believe how big your precious babes have all gotten. It blows my MIND!

Much love sweet friend....

R's Rue said...

Yum!
Will have to do this myself!
God Bless!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com