Saturday, June 1, 2013

Recipe Box - Cream Cheese Pound Cake (for Strawberry Shortcake)

Every year when local strawberries begin to ripen, I know it's time to do two things: make freezer jam (which is used for many of my kids' lunches throughout the year, because they're always happy to eat bread and strawberry jam!) and make a shortcake.

I used to use a recipe for shortcake that was passed down by my mom; and for sentimental reasons, I still like it.  Rather than being a sweet cake, it's more of a biscuit-type thing; and we would cut a square of that, put it in the bottom of a bowl, cover it completely with cut strawberries, then pour milk(!) over the whole thing and eat it that way.  The country way.  ;-)

Some years ago, however, while reading a blog (which is no longer accessible to the public, so that's why I'm not linking to it...in case you were wondering) ;-) by a lovely, talented young woman named Meredith, I discovered a new shortcake recipe; and since it looked so easy to make and used such simple, on-hand ingredients, I decided to give it a try.

I was immediately won over--and not just me, but the rest of the family, too!  This shortcake is GOOD!  So good, in fact, that I highly doubt I'll ever make any other kind.  :)
 What You Need

1 8-ounce package cream cheese
1 and 1/2 cups butter
3 cups white sugar
6 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

What You Do

Preheat oven to 325 degrees, and grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.  In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth.  Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy.  Add eggs two at a time, beating well with each addition.  Add the flour all at once and mix in.  Add vanilla.  Pour into tube pan.  Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, checking for doneness beginning at 1 hour.  A toothpick inserted into center of cake will come out clean.

See?  Isn't that easy?  Easy, but absolutely scrumptious.  Heap it high with gorgeous, juicy strawberries; add a dollop of freshly whipped cream; and you've got a dessert fit for a king!

(Or for anyone else who happens to be eating around your dinner table, if full-fledged royalty happens to be in short supply...)  ;-)

4 comments:

Sally said...

Whoa! That looks so delicious I could eat the picture! Upon close examination, after seeing the recipe calls for 3 cups of sugar (gasp), I had better just eat the picture. When we're in heaven together, provided we have this option, please make it for me!

Davene Grace said...

I certainly will! :)

But even while we're here on earth, if you have only a very tiny piece, it wouldn't be too bad, would it? ;-)

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds so good! I always loved Meredith's blog and was so sad to see it go. It is good to see you sharing her recipe. I will definitely have to make it soon.
Blessings to you,
Libby

www.anoblecallingblog.blogspot.com

Sally said...

It wouldn't be so bad, Davene, but I'm the only one here who likes (or will even eat) cheesecake. Maybe I'll have to make it sometime for a fellowship meal and eat only a small slice.