Saturday, June 29, 2013

Not NEARLY As Wild As Last Year

I don't think any lawn party will ever top the lawn party of 2012 in terms of sheer excitement.

As a matter of fact, I hope none ever will!

Certainly the lawn party of 2013 didn't come close, and for that we are all extremely grateful.  :)  But last night when we were at the lawn party--an annual tradition for us here at the end of June--I couldn't help but remember so vividly the sights and feelings of that terrifying June night a year ago.  When Tobin was riding the dragon roller coaster last night, I remembered how he was just getting off that one when the wind struck. When I was standing outside the metal barrier around the merry-go-round, I thought about Jeff standing outside it last year when he first felt the wind...and about him rushing through and knocking down the barriers to get to our kids who were riding that so he could get them to safety as soon as possible.  As I listened to the band playing last night, I remembered how they had stopped so suddenly--in the middle of a song--when the wind came, as bewildered as the rest of us at what was happening.  When I looked at the concession stands and the game stands, I remembered the cotton candy and the plastic ducks and the stuffed animals and the paper cups flying through the air and littering the farmer's cornfield that adjoins the Ruritan Park.  And as we watched the clouds roll in this year, I wondered if the approaching storm would come anywhere close to last year's ferocity.  When the raindrops did begin to fall, I was thankful for them because even though they drove us from the lawn party sooner than we might have wished, they were gentle.

Gentleness is beautiful.  :)

And speaking of beauty, here are some of my favorite shots from the lawn party last night...



That's Josiah on the swing, in case his profile is not as recognizable to you as it is to me.  ;-)









 Shav would reach his arm up and tickle Moriah...
 ...and when he would stop, she would look back as if to ask for more.  :)


We weren't the only ones keeping an eye on the clouds!
 The approaching storm didn't keep the boys from having fun though.  :)






 As I watched Josiah and David walk across the grounds of the Ruritan Park, I couldn't help but think about how big and independent they are becoming.  Young men, really.  It's a joy to watch them grow up!

 As David was riding one last time on the dragon roller coaster, the raindrops began to fall--our signal to head for the van (with Jeff stopping at the concession stand on the way for our customary bag of cotton candy--something we didn't get to do last year!), join the long line of cars slowly exiting the park, and make the (very!) short drive home.
Farewell, lawn party!
Until next year!  :)

No comments: