Monday, June 17, 2013

A Major Accomplishment for Our Girl!

Moriah did something today she's never done before.

She rode forward-facing in a vehicle!

The boys and I took a load of recycling out to our local recycling place, which is a beautiful drive through the countryside and I love doing it.  This time, Moriah rode forward-facing, and I think she enjoyed it!  So that was a first.

But...hmmm...I think there was something else exciting that happened today, too.

What could it be?

*tapping my finger on my head*

Hold on...it's coming to me...

*rubbing my chin thoughtfully*

Yes, I think I remember now...

Could it be?...

Yes, it is!

SHE WALKED!!!!!

Here at the early (for our babies!) age of 14 months, Moriah walked!!!  :)

We knew she was close.  As a matter of fact, while we were away at the homeschool convention, Jeff saw Moriah take one step in our guesthouse one evening--it just happened to be June 7, our anniversary.  :)  Three days later, when we were home again, I saw her do the same thing: stand up and move her right foot a little bit--enough to qualify as one step.  But that was it.  There were no more steps, and her left foot stayed planted.

Until today...  :)

We were upstairs in the hall this morning, and Moriah stood up.  I got down with her and encouraged her to come to me, and she slowly moved her right foot...then her left foot!...then her right foot again!  Three steps!!  :)  She sat down, then got up and did the same thing.  Three steps again!

A little later, after I had changed her out of the sleeper she was wearing (thinking to give her feet better grip on the floor), we were in the living room, and I was trying to get her to walk again (because I had my camera ready and wanted to record it).  :)  See how successful I was?
OK, not successful.  :)  Then I remembered that when she had walked upstairs, she had been holding something in each hand.  So I gave her some little things to hold, and tried again.
Still no success!  But right after this, she actually did stand up and walked about halfway across the living room!  I thought I was recording it; but as it turned out, I wasn't.  Argh!  You'll just have to take my word for it that it actually happened, since there's no proof.  ;-)

At that point, I had some problems with my camera: memory card was full, batteries were low, etc.  I hastily tried to fix those situations, then got ready again--this time with Moriah in the kitchen--to hopefully capture some steps.
And I did.  :)
She stepped, and I recorded, cheering her on all the while (in such a silly voice, but I've learned that when one's baby is beginning to walk, it's all but impossible to speak in a regular voice!).  ;-)

I was SO excited for her and SO proud of our girl!  Who would have thought that one of our children would ever walk so early?  ;-)  Since she's now 14 months and 8 days, she beat her brothers by about 4 months.  :)

Overachiever.  ;-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! She is ready to move!

Valerie said...

Yay Moriah!!

Those video's are beyond precious. I squealed. :) Her balance in the 2nd video is amazing. I know she didn't take any steps, but she stood there and then sat with such grace. I'm impressed. Then the video's with actual bitty baby steps?! (squeal...again, just thinking about it!) So exciting!

Elizabeth said...

Awesome! Those first few steps are so special! She is a doll!

Anonymous said...

Whoohoo how exciting!! Way to go Moriah!