Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Splendid Couple of Days

We're home tonight after spending a couple of days away at our state homeschool convention in Richmond; and this evening--as I gathered some eggs from our chicken coop and watched Moriah crawl around on our trampoline and sat on our couch to read a few chapters from Anne of Windy Poplars and tucked the boys into their own beds and listened to the rain fall on our roof, I thought again of how splendid it is to come home.  After being away, even for a short time, I know more fully the truth of the phrase "home sweet home"!

But even while I enjoy the familiar comforts of home, I think back to the delightful times of the past few days that we spent traveling, and I realize that they were splendid, too.  Difficult, at times--I won't lie.  But even the challenges of caring for the needs of five children away from home and dealing with some unexpected hurdles along the way can't dim very much the splendor of attending the homeschool convention.

Neither our going or our coming, however, takes first prize in the Being Splendid contest.  Another event that happened today completely steals the show.

Are you ready for this?

My parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary today!!!!!

As part of the celebration, we met up with my brother David and his family at a Cracker Barrel halfway between their home and ours.  Why Cracker Barrel?
Because they have a nice front porch.  :)

I will write more about this later; but even though I'm more than eager to sleep in my own bed tonight after three nights away, I couldn't resist taking a moment to share the big news.

5-0!  

No comments: