Monday, May 6, 2013

The Lilacs of 2013

Even before the glorious spring of 2012, I loved lilacs; but one particular day last April forever solidified my abiding affection for those lovely purple blossoms.  I am so grateful that they bloom so faithfully, so abundantly, so beautifully--right here in my own backyard.

Here in 2013, the lilacs again are blooming, but later this year than last.  When Moriah's first birthday arrived, the lilacs had not.  Our late spring meant that everything was later than usual to blossom, and the lilacs were no exception.  But no matter.  They're blooming now.  :)

This was the first year that the boys took any interest in going out to cut bouquets of lilacs to bring inside.  David was the first one to do so, and he returned with some lovely bursts of color...with very short stems.  I put them into a little cream pitcher...
 ...then sent him back out for more--with longer stems!--that could be put into our normal lilac pitcher (shown in last year's lilac post).

Following in his big brother's footsteps, Shav cut lots of colorful blooms to bring to me, but with very little stems.  For his flowers, I decided that simply putting them into this clear bowl with some water in the bottom would do the trick and make his heart happy.
 The dandelion he (or Tobin--I forget which) later added to the bouquet makes my heart happy.  :)
What really made me break out into a grin, however, was Tobin's bouquet.  In his mind, stuffing as many blooms as possible into the vase, filling it entirely from top to bottom, was the way to go!
Well, why not?  :)

Later, I took sweet Moriah out to look at the lilacs.  She looked at them.  I looked at her.  :)













I will always love lilacs.

I will always, always, always love the little ones who make the lilacs so very special for me!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been given many dandelions this spring. It must be a boy thing.

Heart of Wisdom Academy said...

I adore Moriah updates, and your ardent love for her and all your family.

Marie said...

Davene, I am so amazed that your beautiful Moriah is already a year now. It shocks me. She is so beautiful. I enjoy how you capture and treasure every little detail of your children and all that they do. It is so sweet. You have such a gift of writing and I am glad you capture it for us all to read and see.

The lilacs are so lovely also :)

Many blessings
~ Marie

Sally said...

These pictures are simply beautiful! I'm glad you took the time to enjoy the lilacs, especially dressing up Moriah and taking pictures of her enjoying them. I know you have to just set things aside and take advantage of the beauty.