Friday, May 24, 2013

The Girls of '12 {and a Man of '40}

I have a confession to make: during this past homeschool year, I didn't do much (AT ALL!) in the area of having people over.  It wasn't my intention to let hospitality take such a back seat to all the other activities we were involved in, but that's how things went.  This summer, however, I'm anticipating much more time spent with people, just relaxing together and enjoying a slower pace of life and the chance to sit...chat...catch up...connect.  There is much value in that!

Today I got to do that with my friends Becky, Amanda, and Deborah.
 While the ladies sat and talked...
...the kids had all sorts of fun together...
 ...including playing on the trampoline.
Shav and Kristen...
 ...spent some time sitting together and looking at books.
 So cute!  :)
 One thing that is special about this group of friends is that three of us were pregnant at the same time (there's something so significant about sharing pregnancies, I think) and all gave birth to girls last year.  (Actually, I think just about everyone I know who had a baby last year had a girl!)  Deborah and I both had ultrasounds and found out we were having girls which was extra special because both she and I only had sons before that, but Amanda--who already had a boy and a girl--did not find out.  Even though I'm not the type of person to predict what someone is having, I had SUCH a strong feeling that she was having a girl that I found it slipping out of my mouth even when I didn't intend for it to...for example, saying something like "when Amanda has her girl, we can..."  I just absolutely knew it.  :)
These girls of '12 are so special!!!
 We tried to get a great picture of the three of them together.
 But
 you
 can
 see
 how
 successful
that
 was!
 (Not
 very!)  ;-)
Regardless, they're cute anyway...and so, so loved.  :)

The visit with friends this morning made me eager to do more of this.  I was reminded that hospitality doesn't have to be hard...doesn't have to require much effort or be something fancy.  It just takes putting the heart out there.

I was also reminded of another simple fact:  the rewards are great.  :)

********

The morning with friends was not the only celebratory part of this day--not by a long shot!  You see, we had a birthday to celebrate this evening!
 A German chocolate cake was made...
 ...for a very special man!
 Every time my dad has a birthday, the thought crosses my mind that he makes that age look young.  So it is with 73: I think Dad appears very youthful for a 73-year-old!
Happy birthday, Dad!  We all love you very much!!!  :)

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I have so much to say about this post. Get comfy. ;)

I'm glad you are hoping to open your doors to friends this summer... we are really hoping to get up to PA sometime before Sept... I would love to stop in (along the way) and meet you in person! :) (um, not to invite myself or anything. I do have manners.) ;)

LOVED the pictures of the 3 girls. Moriah has some precious facial expressions going on. The other girlies are adorable too. :) It also made me laugh to see that all 3 of the Mama's had their hair pulled back. Mom hair. I have it too.

Your Dad is very close in age to my dad... and I agree with you, he makes 73 look good. :) I'm hoping when I see my dad in a few months that he still looks as good as your dad. It's been 4 years since I've seen him.
Happy Birthday to your Dad! May the Lord bless him with many more!

Davene Grace said...

Oh my goodness, Valerie, invite yourself anytime!! I would LOVE to meet you in person! As a matter of fact, I'll be highly offended if you do NOT stop here!!! ;-)

Mom hair - oh, yes. Fact of life at this stage. :)

Thanks for the {long} comment, friend! :)

Amanda D said...

Thanks so much for this Davene! What a wonderful time :) I love how you put things into words:) Especially liked seeing all the attempts to get the girls to sit still for a picture...hilarious!