Friday, November 11, 2011

Random Thoughts in Bullet Points

  • Yesterday we had a major computer crash in our house.  My laptop bit the dust--forever, I feared.  Fortunately, Jeff, the Resurrector of Computers, managed to breathe life into the thing, at least long enough to get all my pictures from it onto an external hard drive (he's my hero--again).  At the moment, it's working.  For how long?  Who knows?
  • Today was a great day, just because the date was so memorable.  11/11/11--can't beat that.  We will not see the likes again.
  • Early this morning, some friends of ours had a baby, their first, a sweet little girl.  I'm so happy for them!
  • Also today, a much-loved friend of ours in Israel died.  Leukemia was the killer.  My heart aches for his wife and young daughter, even as I rejoice in the knowledge that he's experiencing heaven firsthand right now.
  • The cycle of life is a great mystery.
  • After months of looking, we got new (to us) couches tonight!  A couple we know is moving out of the country, and we were able to buy their couches that are very-comfortable-and-much-better-looking-than-our-old-couches.  These new ones just might be my favorite couches that we've ever owned.
  • I haven't had many strong pregnancy cravings, but this afternoon one hit me.  I just had to have some Pineapple-Cherry Crisp!  I knew I didn't *really* have time before supper to make one, but I did it anyway.  So what if dinner was a little late?  At least we had something yummy for dessert!  :)  (When I looked up the link for that recipe, I had to smile when I saw that I posted it during Shav's pregnancy, and the title of the post was "I Was Craving..."  Some things never change.)
  • The boys have been sick this week.  Fevers, aches, sore throats--and in Josiah's case, photophobia, pressure in his head, and tonight, laryngitis.  This is the first time he's ever lost his voice, and it was a weird sensation for him.  He asked in a tremulous whisper, "Will I ever get my voice back?"
  • After all the boys were in bed tonight, I headed to Walmart to buy some things to fill a shoebox with gifts for the boy we sponsor in Haiti.  My original plan was to involve all of my sons in that project, but their sickness this week derailed that.  Next week, if all goes well, we'll finish packing three more boxes with which they can be much more involved.
  • Shopping at Walmart late at night is an interesting experience.  Not very many customers, a slightly bored check-out girl, lots of huge stacks of boxes as the stockers fill the shelves again.  One thing made me laugh though: in the aisle with the huge screen TVs, there was a man who, by his dress, I identified as either an Old Order Mennonite or some kind of conservative Mennonite.  He was watching the TVs with obvious interest (a TV is something they choose not to have in their homes or businesses).  I glanced at the screens to see what had caught his eye and was making him smile.  I think it was Cars 2 (although I've never seen it).  I guess, under the hats and behind the veils, we're all pretty much the same.  :)
  • Before I head to bed, I need to do three things.  First, eat a little more pineapple-cherry crisp; the Baby wants it, after all.  :)  Second, say a prayer of rejoicing for our friends who gave birth today.  And third, pray for comfort for the friends and family of Yuri in Israel.  He will be missed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum that dessert sounds tasty! The 2nd to last bullet made me smile :-)

Unknown said...

I now want to make that dessert. Hope the boys feel better today.

Valerie said...

*I hope you decide to post a picture of your couch. I'd love to see it.
*I hope your boys feel better soon!
*(little story) We were visiting with some neighbors last night. When they heard that we are originally from PA they asked if we were Amish (pronounced with a long "a") I smiled and said no. Their next question was "are you Mennonite?!" :) Ha. Sitting there in my jeans and t-shirt, I smiled again and said no. (the end. It was a short story) :)

*said a prayer for your friends in Israel.

Homeschool on the Croft said...

...after all, you can't deprive baby ;)