Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Applesauce Project

Turning this...
 ...into this...
...goes much more quickly...
 ...with extra pairs of helping hands.
 My mother is a regular in my kitchen, when it comes to special projects...
 ...but today, even my dad was pressed into service.
 Actually, he volunteered - no pressing required.  ;-)  He cut up almost all the apples for the 21 quarts we canned and 6 pints we froze today.  That brings our total for this fall to 40 quarts canned and 6 pints frozen...plus plenty of fresh applesauce that we've eaten before it ever gets to a jar!
 I didn't think to take a picture of them, but Josiah and David both cheerfully used their hands to turn the handle of the food mill that presses out the applesauce.  Tobin did, too, for a little tiny bit.
But for much of the morning, the boys happily played in the living room, couches pulled together to make a ship/cave/house/whatever-you-want-it-to-be and a basket of toys that they hadn't played with in a while to keep them happy.

With the applesauce from previous years that we still have in the cellar and freezer, I've concluded that we've put up enough this fall; and I can now turn my attention to other pursuits, grateful for the rich bounty of applesauce to be enjoyed even during winter's coldest weather.

Today, with so many of us working together, was a great way to end The 2011 Applesauce Project.  ;-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How wonderful it will be grab a jar of homemade applesauce!

Sally said...

Mmmm--mm! I love applesauce! I enjoyed my share of homemade applesauce this fall, and I'm waiting for our baby to come so I can enjoy it in full form again. I'm glad you got all yours done for the year.

Valerie said...

Yum! I have to admit I am a bit jealous. Apples down here are expensive and I haven't made any applesauce. :( This time of year (while living in PA) I was able to get apples for 69cents a pound... down here (in TX) the price went UP at harvest time. It jumped from 1.27 a pound to 1.79 or more. :( So sad.
Oh well, I don't have enough freezer space anyway. That's what I'm telling myself anyway. :)